Author Topic: When to spay  (Read 424 times)

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
When to spay
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
What's everyone's viewpoint on 'when to spay'.  Have read that it's best done after first season, but have also noticed that pups have been done at 6/7 months  before first season.  My Tessa will be spayed, but when I'm not sure. I would have thought after first season as she will be more mature hormonal wise, have I got it right. Only had boy dogs before. 
Tessa 

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
Re: When to spay
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
Ha ha. Replying to myself here.  Just done a search on spaying and lots of advice on both options.  Will read further. But would like to hear your experiences.
Tessa 

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »
I've read lots about this subject and I have chosen that Tilly will be spayed after her 2nd season unless her 1st season causes any problems, in that case she will be spayed after her first. Good luck in what ever you chose to do.  :bigarmhug:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
IMO best to leave until after 1 year old to allow her to mature. I would never spay at 6 months.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
Our vet (plus a lot of what we read) said 3 months after a season, to allow hormones and blood thickness to settle. In our case, Rowan's first season wasn't until 18 months, so it was only done recently (and that's another story  ph34r ). Must say, after the initial drama that she hasn't changed a single bit nature or coat wise since. I'd heard stories that depending when they were done could affect them, but 3 months after 1st season seems to have worked well for Rowan who was a big 2 years old at the weekend  :luv:
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
Although my vets does laparoscopic spays at six months, I have decided to wait until after Lottie's first season.  She is a dinky girl, and I want to give her as much natural growing time as possible before removing important hormones.

My main concern was daycare, but we have had that discussion and she is happy to cater for my little madam when she gets hormonal...

:005:

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Milly had her first season at nine months and, following our vet's advice, she was spayed at just over a year old. She breezed through the whole thing as though nothing had happened and kept the wound clean herself without any biting or tugging at it.
There's been a slight change to her coat but, if anything, that's made her even more cuddly  :luv:.

Bob.