Author Topic: Wasp Stings:(  (Read 376 times)

Offline Deblk

Wasp Stings:(
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
My baby boy Kasper experienced his first sting yesterday. I knew it was going to happen eventually cause he sticks his nose into everything. Luckily stung him on his cheek area and not his tongue. I really felt for him as he just did not know what as going on. I read that giving water with a dash of vinegar helps to sooth it which he was more than happy to drink. Has anybody else heard that? What do you guys do in this situation?
Catch you later :)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Wasp Stings:(
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
Vinegar on the sting is the right thing to do :)

We've never been in that situation but my first reaction would be to panic lol.

If it's swollen you can give a piriton (drowsy) tablet (to ease the reaction :))
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
I think only one of mine has ever been stung and that was on his bottom  :o
Yes vinegar is supposed to be good, and the piriton, although I've not tried them. 
My boy didn't seem to be in any discomfort from his sting, so I left it and kept an eye on him.  If he had done, I would have applied the above
Hope he's ok now

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
Jazz was stung on the lip as a pup.  We didn't even know it had happened as she didn't yelp or anything.  She went indoors and fell asleep on the rug, when she work up she was all swollen on one side and lopsided :005: :005:

Took her straight to the vets as was unsure what to do and was told by the vet that as the swelling had already come out there was no point giving anti-histamines and that it would go down on its own.  She had no ill effects btw just looked a bit funny for a day or 2.

I know the anti-h would work if like in your case you know they have just been stung.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
Milly was stung on one of her paws just a few days ago and was given Piriton within minutes of it happening.

We also applied a bicarbonate of soda paste to her paw and between her pads.......Then asked for further advice on COL  :005:.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=106396.0

She's since been to the vet for her six monthly check up and we were advised that, to be really effective, Piriton should ideally be given within ten to fifteen minutes of being stung.

Milly was fine by the next day and hopefully Kasper will be the same.

Bob.