Author Topic: When to castrate - or not!!  (Read 407 times)

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

When to castrate - or not!!
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
Alfie is recovering well from his broken hind leg.  At 10 months crate rest is not easy on him and, as he's allowed 5 - 10 min breaks 3 or 4 times each day, I have now taken to walking him slowly along the lanes to my local church and back for one of these breaks which allows him to have a good sniff around outside the garden.  The thing I have noticed is the frequency with which he is scent marking.  Back at home, he has also started to see his bedding as a lovely girlie if you get what I mean.  So, I'm now thinking about whether or not to get him castrated as I never intend to breed him.

He has already had a couple of general anaesthetics and will be having another one in a couple of weeks for another xray on his leg and I'm not keen for him to have yet another soon after. I would also like him to have some running around time between his broken leg and any other elective operation.  So how long do you think I should wait and what actually is the best age for castration? 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: When to castrate - or not!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »
Nice to hear that Alfie is recovering well :D

I think you'll get lots of different opinions on this topic :blink:

I'm pretty much in the don't castrate unless there's a medical reason camp, having had entire male Cockers since the 1980s. My first boy was a bit of a humper when he was about a year old, but humping isn't always a sign that a male dog is obsessed with sex. He never showed any real interest in bitches and the humping phase simply stopped after a few months. In fact none of my boys have shown much interest in bitches and they've all come across in season bitches, and none has ever marked indoors (apart from one incident where young Sam got confused when there was a real Christmas tree in the house :005:).

One was castrated at about 9 years old when he started having some prostate problems and William was castrated at 15 months because he only had one descended testicle. I waited until 15 months partly in the hope that the testicle would appear, in which case he would have remained entire, but also because I wanted to give him time to mature physically and for his growth plates to close. There is evidence from studies to suggest that early castration before physical maturity increases the chance of joint problems, cruciate ligament ruptures and other diseases such as osteosarcoma. On the other hand, castration virtually eliminates the chances of testicular cancer.

So please do your research and decide what's best for you and Alfie, but if you decide on castration please seriously consider waiting until he's at least 15 months or so.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Sorry.......a vote for don't castrate here!

I think that unless there are big problems, you should consider leaving boys entire.

I felt the same about my girls, too........but one got a pyometra, and so we had no choice.  The other died during anaesthesia for a simple procedure.

Any elective surgery, in my opinion, carries risk.  I would never do it without 'real' reason.

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline MANDYANDALFIE

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks for that elaine.e and lily freya.  Your answers have gone a long way to settle my mind to only revisit this issue if his behaviour doesn't subside once his life gets back to normal.  The only other dog I've owned was a bitch so this is new to  me and I don't really want to discuss it with his vet as she has already suggested the op as a matter of routine (and cash in her bank account no doubt!).

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
The bed humping is not unusual I have had 2 pups that have done this one dog and my present bitch Teal both grew out of it,. I am also in the leave the bits on camp unless there is a medical reason.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly