Author Topic: Minnie lies down in pain after eating  (Read 1206 times)

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Minnie lies down in pain after eating
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
Minnie has had this problem on and off for a while now, where immediately after having her food she lies down in pain after eating, sometimes crying if you touch her tummy. They are all on Applaws Chicken, which is very high in protein and the vet suggested maybe its too rich for her. Has anybody else noticed this symptom with their dogs? Are there any suggestions as to how we can change her diet to help this problem?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Minnie lies down in pain after eating
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »
I'm no expert, but if it's happening immediately after eating I don't understand how it could be due to the protein levels in her food as the food wouldn't be digested at that stage.

Does she bolt her food down John? If so it might be worth trying one of those food bowls that slow down their eating, or putting her food in a Kong, or breaking her food down into several smaller meals to see if that makes any difference. You could also try putting her food bowl on a stand so she's not eating it at floor level.

Another thought, does she have a big drink of water straight after a meal? Louis likes to and I take the water bowl away for a while if I think he's drinking too much in one go as I think it makes him uncomfortable for a while.

Changing her food could also be worth trying just to see if it makes any difference, but if it was me I'd try some of the other ideas first rather than change her from a food that you think suits her.

Hope you find a solution soon :D

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
No help I`m afraid John, but I hope she gets over this soon xxxx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
Has the vet suggested running any bloods John? We are experiencing this with Jasper this time with his pancreatitis. Could it be the fat content of the food rather than the protein level?
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
Has the vet suggested running any bloods John? We are experiencing this with Jasper this time with his pancreatitis. Could it be the fat content of the food rather than the protein level?

I was going to suggest the same thing. My boy Dickon used to do this when he was beginning a bout of pancreatitis. He had the chronic version which grumbled away flaring up into full blown attacks every so often until we put him on a special low fat diet.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »
No advice John, but I'm sorry to hear that Minnie is not well - perhaps a check for pancreatitis would be a good start.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »
No advice from me either, but I do hope you find the reason and can sort Minnie's problem out  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »
No advice from me either, but I do hope you find the reason and can sort Minnie's problem out  :luv:

Likewise - hope Minnie is ok - please give her a big hug from Aunty Jayne
xx

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »
Hope Minnie's eating problem is easily solved and it is nothing serious.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Thank you for all your posts. I had a chat with one of our trainers and she suggested it might be worth adding some "wet" food to the morning meal and this seems to have done the trick for now. So all three are delighted when they get tin food on top of their dry. Its funny it has never happened on their afternoon feed.  >:(

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Isn't it a relief when these problems are solved without a big bill  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
Really pleased its nothing serious.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline linda c

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Pleased to hear you've got it all sorted :blink: