Author Topic: Need Help!!  (Read 970 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Need Help!!
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
I took Chester out for a walk on friday and he suddenly stopped when we were in the field and started what I can only describe as snorting noises. It was as if he couldn't breathe through his nose. This lasted for a few minutes then he stopped and we started to head back home and he had it again for another few minutes. It was really scary I didn't know what to do. When I got him back I took him straight to the vets and they checked his chest. It was a struggle as Chester hates the vets and gets really scared and shaky. We had to muzzle him as he was trying to bite as he was that scared. The vet basically said that she couldn't find anything wrong.  :huh: looked at me like what am I talking about  ph34r. She gave me some sedatives for him to take the next time he comes in to make him calm and told me just to monitor him. He has been fine all weekend until tonight where he had another episode of it. Am unsure of what to do at this point as the vets don't seem to know whats wrong but it clearly is something. Just really worried what it is and if it is something dangerous.  :016:

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Sorry I cannot help, hope someone is along soon that can but for now take comfort in the fact you are doing everything you can to get to the bottom of it xx
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Millipede

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Could it have been a reverse sneeze? Millie had them when she was younger and they were quite scarey until I worked out what they were. I seem to remember there are videos on You Tube of dogs having them if you want to compare?  :-\

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »
Sounds like reverse sneezing, which is quite common and usually harmless, but can sound very frightening. My first Cocker used to do it occasionally and I used to gently put my hand over his mouth and nostrils for a few seconds, which usually helped. Don't do that unless you're sure you won't get bitten though, especially if Chester is panicky when it happens.

Have a look at this. It's quite a long clip but is a good explanation http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/12/03/reverse-sneezing.aspx

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
Could it be kennel cough?  It sounds like they have something stuck in their throats.  Amber had it a couple of weeks ago but only coughed very occasionally, mainly after exertion or going out in the cold. 

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
If it happens again, video it so that you have it on record if your need it
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Helly D

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »
Both my cockers used to do this and at first it is quite scary. The first time it happened we took him to the vet as he was only a pup but vet could find nothing wrong. He did it regularly after that and it sounded like he had a load of catarrh stuck up his nose and in his throat. After awhile we didn't take any notice. Our second cocker also did it but again nothing wrong so we just put it down as a cocker trait.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »
Honey has suffered a few episodes of this and have only just found out what it was because of this topic :shades: There is a video showing it   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk. Hope this helps...
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »
Thankyou everyone for all the advice and help  :D From looking at that article and video it does seem as though Chester has this. Thankfully he has not done it since the last incident.