Author Topic: Young dog with wart on lip  (Read 527 times)

Offline Mircass

Young dog with wart on lip
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
Hi - I've viewed plenty of posts about warts but most are relating to older cocker dogs and/or warts on the body.

My 12 month old male developed a white wart three weeks ago which is growing larger.  It's on his lower 'lip' area and can only been seen when he's panting. It's opened up now and looks like a cabbage and is white with slight pink tinge to the base of it.  My vet said last Monday, don't worry about it unless it gets infected (it will smell), he said it's common in young dogs and it will go after 6 months or so.

Over the weekend, I believed it had started to smell bad so visited the vet today.  My usual vet's wife is due to give birth so there was a locum (he'll be off for two weeks).  She said he has to go under GA, have it cut out then a biopsy performed to find out exactly what it is.  Right.  I balked at this and then she admitted it didn't smell, didn't look inflamed and his temperature was normal so unlikely there's an infection. But she was worried about the growing size of it - it's this size  :D  and if he bit into it overnight or weekend, it would be problematic due to bleeding.

Anyway to cut to the chase, has anyone else had a young dog with this? He has no other warts on his body and he's miserable not being allowed to play with his friends (was told it's viral).
Thoroughly enjoying my first cocker dog.

Offline henryjack1dogs

Re: Young dog with wart on lip
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
Hi, yes one of my boys had  wart above his eyelid when he was about 9 mths.  It grew and grew, he caught it and it healed then it went. He's five next year no sign of any others  :)

Offline rubybella

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
I have read about these type if things on another forum, they do go on their own accord. I definitely wouldn't be putting him through a GA to remove it. Sounds like a money making idea to me!!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
Remember human warts usually go of their own accord,   as someone else said Vet's enjoy making money. >:(  they also do a lot of good.  ;)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Mircass

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
Thank you for the replies, my younger son suffered warts on his fingers and they did disappear without treatment.  I think the locum is worried because of the position of this wart (it's even bigger today - sort of opening up like a flower).  My vet was relaxed so I'll take his view.  Just wondered if anyone else had a dog with one in his/her mouth.
Thoroughly enjoying my first cocker dog.