Author Topic: Itchy cocker  (Read 1987 times)

Offline dollydavis

Itchy cocker
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
Hi all, new to this so bare with me!

We adopted a 18 month old show cocker about 8 months ago now, we absolutely adore him!

He seems to suffer with dry skin, we have changed his food to hypoallergenic and I give him fish oils for itchy dogs, also tried pure coconut oil as I heard this was good. He also nibbles his paws, he used to be kept in a crate for long periods of time (not now we own him) so am wondering if this is a habit he's developed?

The vet said it could be many factors, but any advice would be much welcome :)

Thank you

Much love,

Suzi and Show Cocker Mitchell, aged 2

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Itchy cocker
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
Hi to you and Mitchell.  we are also our Gemma's second owners.
 I have nothing to offer advice wise but someone will be along shortly. you have found the best place for help.
look forward to his photos. we like lots of pictures and norty stories  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:04:17 AM »
Hello and welcome to COL :D

Have his anal glands been checked? Licking and nibbling paws can be a sign of full and uncomfortable anal glands that need emptying.

Have you considered trying him on a grain free kibble or a raw diet? Grains, especially wheat, can be a cause of itchy skin. One of my Cockers always had dry, itchy skin, recurring ear infections and lip fold infections until I switched him to a raw diet. That sorted out all his skin problems. I'm not saying it will be the solution for Mitchell, but it's worth considering.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
Hiya,

When I bought Monty home at 8 weeks old he had very dry and itchy skin and quite a scurfy coat. He was very itchy and always having a nibble of himself..
He was on puppy kibble when I bought him home but I switched him to a raw diet soon after. He's much less itchy now. He still has the occasional nibble but I think that's just him!
I also massage some coconut oil into his coat after a bath and this seems to help too.
The raw diet has now left him with a gorgeous shiny and not so itchy coat, it might be worth a go if you're willing!
Polly & Monty x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
Another raw diet here, last year I also introduced (human) 1 per day of Evening Primrose oil capsule;   It seems to work although when she is groomed she still seems a bit dandruffy but she doesn't scratch like she did.   It is not an instant fix, it takes time.   I'm sure you will get lots of other suggestions.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »
If you don't want to go down the raw route, you could maybe try a wet grain free food, there are quite a few about now.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dollydavis

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Thank u all so much for the advice! I would like to put him on a raw diet but wouldn't know where to start? Also I'm warey about giving him raw meat although I know it's best for him! I suppose because we don't eat raw chicken etc seems funny to give it to him?

Thanks for all your help [emoji177][emoji5]️[emoji190]

Much love,

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:47:41 PM »
If you want some guidance on feeding raw that should not be a problem. Have a look on the 'Feeding' section and on top of the list will be a sticky about starting off on a raw diet, also many Col'rs feed raw and I'm sure will be only too happy to help get you started, as well as answer any questions you may have...or know a man/woman who can, with links etc.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
Just to say I buy a "ready made" raw for Monty from a lovely lady with amazing ingredients in it. If you want any details then please ask! (Hope that's allowed?) x

Offline dollydavis

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
Oh yes please polly that would be a great help x

Much love,

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »
Have sent you a message Suzi! X

Offline kaz60

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
I use Natural Instinct for Arthur. It's already prepared so all you need to do is spoon it into the bowl. I add some mixer biscuits (not many) they are grain free and hypo allergenic. This diet seems to work for us and Arthur doesn't seem to scratch like he used to. I also add a small amount of Yumega oil to his breakfast every morning. Hope this helps.

Karen

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
I use Natural Instinct for Arthur. It's already prepared so all you need to do is spoon it into the bowl. I add some mixer biscuits (not many) they are grain free and hypo allergenic. This diet seems to work for us and Arthur doesn't seem to scratch like he used to. I also add a small amount of Yumega oil to his breakfast every morning. Hope this helps.

Karen

Can I ask what is the grain free mixer please, been looking for some to add to Minstrel's wet food, thanks