Author Topic: Advice with Ticks please  (Read 378 times)

Offline Shibbs

Advice with Ticks please
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
I found the first Tick on Belle today. I had read a lot about them on here previously and had already brought one of the remover tools (thanks to all the previous topics).
Unfortunately, I don't think o did a good job of removing it, I'm pretty sure the head is still under the skin. It was really stubborn to twist out.
Should I take her to the vet or just keep an eye on her and the area and see how it goes?
Hope someone can advise. It was only a small one and would only have been there for a very short time.
 Disgusting little critters!! >:D
Thanks in advance..
'Belle'
Stu

Offline lescef

Re: Advice with Ticks please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:32:50 PM »
There is definitely a knack to removing them which unfortunately only comes with practice.
I would probably dab the area with dilute hibiscrub and keep an eye on it. They can leave quite a mark on the skin which may make you think the head has been left in. We put them on tissue when we've remove them so we can check what we've removed.
But if you're still unsure tomorrow it might be worth checking with the vet.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
You will find once the irritation settles the skin will shrink back making it relatively easy to remove the head, with a pair of decent weezers, it use to scratch the area gently to create a scab and this would heal and lift the head out with it.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »
I'd put some sort of antiseptic on it though and keep an eye open - they can sometimes fester and become infected but 9 times out of 10 they'll be ok.