Author Topic: yearly vaccs??  (Read 888 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
yearly vaccs??
« on: April 04, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
I have an appointment for Benji to have a yearly vac tomorrow.But I,ve just been to my other vet for my cat and he said dog vacs can be done every 2-3 years now.Should I cancel the vac for tomorrow?Also what is Auto Immune?Benj recently had an immune problem would this have been related to havng yearly vaccinations?

Offline Dannyt

• Site Member
Re: yearly vaccs??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »
This is interesting cos Charlie is due his yearly vaccinations so will be watching keenly for the more experienced COL'ers opinions.

Does 2-3 yearly vaccs count as an up to date record if you want them to go to dog training schools???? 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
HERE's a past thread on booster vaccinations which you might find useful.

Jane
Jane

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
Have just read through it,thankyou,and am still a bit confused but gather that the usual booster is done every 2 years and part of that booster is done every year.Is that right?So I should go ahead and keep the appointment for the part booster.Hopefully my vet will agree but what if he doesnt??I,m worried about the immune bit though because in the thread it said that it was triggered by a vaccination on one dog but with Benj he hadnt had a vacccination he just started with it.I,m also confused because the vet said it was haemorraghic gastroenteritis but that his body was attacking itself and the immune system was to do with it.Is anyone able to explain to a total dimwit what all this means?Could this have been anything to do with him having vacs every year?When I rescued him he hadnt had any vaccinations at all and he was 3 and a half.So the vet started him as if he was a puppy and I have just gone from there and had him vaxed every year since til now.

Penel

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 09:14:38 PM »
What was wrong with him - you say an immune thing - can you be more specific please ?

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:39:38 AM »
The vet said he had haemorraged inside his intestines and his body was attacking itself.He was weeing blood that looked like raspberry jam and he thought he had haemorraghic gastroenteritis.He said something about his immune system not working.He has fully recovered and his recovery was very quick with the medicines given by the vet but I caught it early.The onset was fast.The vet said this wouldnt have been caused by yearly immunisations.I have kept the appontment and will take him today and he is going to just have the Lepto part of the jab and 3 yearly the full jab.

Penel

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »
Haemorraghic gastroenteritis isn't auto immune - so hopefully the vaccinations won't cause a reaction.

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:03:20 PM »
Thats good news.The vet said thats what he had but said his immune system was messed up and that his body was attacking itself.I didnt understand it all just happy the medicines prescribed did the trick so quickly :D