Author Topic: A Warning about Cocoa Mulch( Dog Died)  (Read 1708 times)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
A Warning about Cocoa Mulch( Dog Died)
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »
Sorry if i have not posted this in the right place, but I was sent this warning on my Petsearch site and felt I should pass  it on  as I know my young cocker Honey just loves picking up and chewing  leaves, wood etc.  it worried me so I felt I had to post this warning.    Over the weekend a dog owner purchased some Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden and they loved the way it smelt, their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times, but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, the lady took Calypso for her early morning walk, half way through the walk  she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website , this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.
 It seems that it contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine" It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. they will ingest this stuff and die.
Several deaths already have occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. so please check whats being used in your and other gardens that you may visit.
True information about the mulch can be found here
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm
better safe than sorry

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: A Warning about Cocoa Mulch( Dog Died)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »
This one gets posted every year at about this time. We're all bitten by the bug as the weather gets better and this mulch is in common use. It is well known it is dangerous to dogs and appalling that some manufacturers still don't put warnings on >:(.

Thanks for raising the issue and therefore awareness again ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »
 ;) thanks for the info its good to know  :D

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the timely warning, iv'e got 3 bags in the back of the car that we were putting down this weekend.

Tracey, Blue and Charlie

Offline Tracey Jane

• Site Member
  • We're just silly about Milly
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
Thanks for the warning - I didn't know anything about this.  I will now make sure I tell everyone.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 03:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  I have read about this by chance recently but had no idea before.  I cannot believe the manufacturers do not have to put a warning on the bag.  I am pretty sure my cats would never eat mulch but my dog certainly would!
Julie and Watson