Author Topic: (Mammary Glands, advice please) Phantom Pregnancy!  (Read 1683 times)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
(Mammary Glands, advice please) Phantom Pregnancy!
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:04:27 PM »
We got back off holiday yesterday and Melly had been in kennels for the whole of last week.  OH collected her yesterday and she got a glowing report from the kennel staff, they were sorry to see her go  :luv:

Anyway she's been quite subdued and she's not really herself.  She's got about 10 matts on her underbelly and legs - she had been to the groomer before we went away so her coat wasn't too long but the kennel staff say the weather was terrible at the beginning of last week and they were so busy they didn't have time to groom all the dogs every day.

I noticed last night that Melody's last two teats were quite swollen and they're hard too.  They aren't hot to the touch or discoloured and she's letting me feel them without any fuss but she's licking them and between her legs a lot.  She doesn't have a discharge but she's very smelly so I'm thinking anal glands. 

She's spent most of the day today in her bed which isn't like her  :-\ She's just as affectionate but there's something up with her.  I've got an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning but I can't help wondering whats wrong with her.

She had her 1st season in August and everything has been fine with her since, could she be coming into season again?

The only positive change about her is she scoffs her dinner now whereas before she would just sniff it and 'graze' at it  ::)

Any advice - once you have read this ramble - is greatly appreciated  ;) :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Mammary Glands, advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »
She's showing all the classic signs of a phantom pregnancy which generally doesn't need veterinary treatment unless the symptoms are very severe. If she is producing milk from her teats, there are drugs available to stop this (eg Galastop) but if it's just that her teats are a little swollen, then this is quite normal for this stage of her cycle. I find the best thing for a bitch having a phantom is to increase her excercise and reduce her food intake a little and basically don't mollycoddle her too much ;) There are also homeopathic remedies that can help with the symptoms of a phantom, depending on whether you like to use homeopathic treatments or not. I've used Pulsatilla quite successfully on our girls when they have slight phantoms or there is Sepia, which is better for bossier personalities.
Jane

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:18:14 PM »
Thanks Jane  ;)  I did a search on here for 'mammary galnds' but only found 3 or 4 threads however I've been reading my 'Book of the Bitch' and its been helpful.

All of Melody's actual nipples are bigger than normal but the bottom two have a hard lump about the size of a small (quail) egg under them - there's no discharge from the nipples if I manipulate them.

I've been giving her the same amount of food today, no more than she needs, but she ate the first lot which is unusual for her.  I usually end up chucking half a bowl of food everytime she's fed  ::)

Looking forward to seeing the vet tomorrow but not looking forward to the spaying debate I just know we're going to have - again!!

Anyway, thanks Jane, its invaluable to be able to speak to people who have seen this before.  Make me feel less like a paranoid first time (cocker) mother  :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
Well we're back from the vets and he confirmed it is a phantom pregnancy.  Her other teats are swollen now too and she's producing milk.  He was happy to leave her for a few days to see if the milk dries up by itself and as she's not showing any signs of distress I've taken his advice.  He isn't our usual vet so I didn't have the spaying debate thankfully  ::) but he was very good with her so I hope we can see him again in the future.

Where can I buy Pulsatilla?  I'd like to use this if it works  ;) and how do I use it?

Poor Melody also suffered the indignity of having her anal glands emptied for the first time too, she didn't like that one bit  :embarassed:  One side was blocked and both were quite full so I need to get on top of that for the future too.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: (Mammary Glands, advice please) Phantom Pregnancy!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 03:45:41 PM »
Sorry, I missed seeing this yesterday. You can buy Pulsatilla (6C) at health shops like Holland & Barrett. Boots also stock Nelsons homeopathic remedies and their own brand too. Homeopathic tablets shouldn't be fed within 20 mins of eating any food and you mustn't handle the tablets if poss - I usually crush a tablet between 2 spoons and tip the powder onto the dog's tongue. Different books give different recommendations for how many tabs etc but 3 a day for about a week or so seems to give good results.
Jane

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:15:41 PM »
Great thanks Jane, I didn't manage to get into town today but I'll pop in tomorrow and get some  ;)  She's doing alright, she's not too distressed - she's in her bed a bit more than usual but I've been trying to keep her busy  ;)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
Hope you feel better soon Melody  :luv:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
Thanks Lisa, she's not as swollen as she was thankfully.  Yesterday her teats were quite pink - bordering on red, more solid feeling and with a slightly raised temp so I held a cold flannel on them and some cabbage leaves (well if it works for us ladies it might be some help to poorly doggies  ;) ) and they're much better today.  They're softer again and there's no heat in them at all. 

She is mostly oblivious to whats going on other than snuggling in her bed a little more than usual  :luv:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks Lisa, she's not as swollen as she was thankfully.  Yesterday her teats were quite pink - bordering on red, more solid feeling and with a slightly raised temp so I held a cold flannel on them and some cabbage leaves (well if it works for us ladies it might be some help to poorly doggies  ;) ) and they're much better today.  They're softer again and there's no heat in them at all. 

She is mostly oblivious to whats going on other than snuggling in her bed a little more than usual  :luv:

Bless her! I know how she feels  ph34r  :005: but at least I can offload my milk!!!!!!! :005:  :005: Don't s'pose you can buy doggy expressers!! :005:

Glad she is oblivious and just trying to sleep it off, poor sausage! The things us females have to go through!! ::)