Author Topic: Anyone Know An Effective Treatment For Giardia?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Anyone Know An Effective Treatment For Giardia?
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »
Smudge managed to pick up this parasitic infection , probably from drinking infected water, in mid Sept, but it was only diagnosed (through analysis of a sample) in early Oct.
She's had 3 lots of antibiotics and probiotics (2 * 5 day courses, and 1 course of a fortnight), but each time the problem is back after 2 days. The vet has now put her on a 5 day course of panacur, but tbh I'm not convinced that this is going to be the answer, as by now (day 2) on antibiotics she had some 'respite'. But I also worry about her having too many antibiotics err.gif
We've also been giving her 'live' yoghurt with every meal.
So, I'm wondering if there is anything else we could give her (eg herbal or homeopathic) that would help her immune system defeat this parasitic invasion. Can you give dogs echinacea for example?
I'd be really grateful if anyone knows of anything we could try.....

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Anyone Know An Effective Treatment For Giardia?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:48:16 PM »
I've found a few suggestions on the natural remedies sites I use... and have you considered consulting a homeopathic vet??

Have you tried Garlic - it has a natural ingredient - allicin - which can be effective against Giardia.

Also, the herb Wormwood (Artemesia annua) - Wormwood tea is used against Giardia by humans. (the oil is poisonous though  :-\)

Grapefood Seed Extract is good for long standing Giardia infestations in humans (not sure if dog can take this, though)

Pineapple in the diet can help express parasites - and beta-carotin containing veg (carrots, sweet potato), as vitamin A is believed to increase resistance to penetration by the larvae  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:01:04 PM »
Can you give dogs echinacea for example?
I'd be really grateful if anyone knows of anything we could try.....
Canine echinacea can be bought here.
http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/search_results.asp?search_type=&search=&sort=&sec=160&snum=50
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but echinachea may not be a good idea - thre is some thinking it can exacerbate autoimmune disorders, and recently I'v seen quite a few cockers show up with similar conditions.

Worth doing a bit of research on before using anyway. ;)

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:19:35 PM »
Here's a supplement that will provide a good mix of beneficial organisms to get Smudges digestive system back to normal (after all those antibiotics have knocked out some of the good 'uns). It's called Protexin Soluble for Dogs.

http://www.furrypharm.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1067
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Penel

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »
Panacur is the first thing my vets would give for Giardia. 

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 08:42:08 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions - I do have a canine garlic supplement and will look at the other suggestions too. We do have access to a homeopathic vet (who has seen Boysie for another issue)
I don't know if it's a sign of the Panacur 'working', but the diahorrea is much worse this time. For the last 2 nights she's asked to go out virtually hourly , and the garden is full of sludge  :embarassed: What with this and the fireworks we're both lacking a lot of sleep.
I'm also worried about reinfection and how best to kill off the parasite from the garden - I've been going out with boiling water, and then hosing, as it's impossible to 'scoop'.

Thanks again

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
Mikey had Giardia and it was very succesfully treated with Flagyl and Panacur.  Giardia doesn't go away immediately and can take many many attempts. 

Personally I would keep going with the Panacur as this is what seemed to sort Mikey out, along with a very bland diet and Flagyl but it didn't happen overnight.

I did give Mikey slippery elm to settle his tummy.

Some insurance companies won't insure Mikey now because he has had Giardia.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 11:55:18 PM »
Bailey had giardia and went through 3 rounds of Panacur.  I think he was fine after the first round of 5 days b/c his bowel movements were fine.  To be on the safe side, the vet had him do 2 more rounds...something like 1 month later and than the 3rd round in another 3 months or something and then I brought another poop sample in.  Can't remember the exact time intervals.
Bailey and Mom

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 09:48:10 AM »
Well last night she only needed to go out twice  :D (instead of hourly like the last few nights). And although soft, it was scoopable. Yesterday I gave her garlic supplement , mashed swede / carrot, and some slippery elm, so hopefully this helped as well.
Today I'm going to order some of the other supplements, and will chat to the vet about what we should take with us when we go away next week.
Thanks again for all the help.