Author Topic: Lumps in ears.....any clues?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
Lumps in ears.....any clues?
« on: September 26, 2006, 09:49:16 PM »
After a particularly wet/muddy/grass stained walk tonight I bathed the terrible two.  Merv needed the stench of fox poo removing and Moog was a nice tinge of green.... :005:

When I was washing Moog's ears I noticed I could feel several small bumps/lumps.....about the size of little sticky buds.  When I got her out and had her wrapped in a towel I had a closer look.  They seemed crusty or like something was stuck so I gently tried removing the mystery items.  To my horror her fur came away in patches very easily like the only thing holding it there were these crusty bits.  She now has two pick sore looking bald patches - one about 1cm across and the other about 0.5cm. :o
I spoke to the vets who said to see what they are like tomorrow and ring back.  I've dried her ears and tried to have another look but she wont let me. :-\
I can feel more of these bumps/scabs in her ear and have felt the ear all over and now I'm paranoid that the bottoms of her ears are being eaten or something.....probably a massive over reaction but just wondered if anyone had any ideas??
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Lumps in ears.....any clues?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:11:25 PM »
Poor Moog -
sorry no ideas what it could be, but just wondering if you have any childrens antihistimines in, but you can use them for bites, stings, allergic reactions etc might take the lumps down?

hope someone comes up with something for you

Bens mum

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:33:30 PM »
If its at the bottom of her ears could she have been scratching them due to Harvest Mites?? just a thought as they are fairly rife around August time. Have you checked in between her toes? see if she has what look like tiny little orange spores. If it is you could use some diluted Benzyl Benzoate, although we can't use it in this house as Gracie has a SEVERE allergic reaction to it but Buttons was always OK.

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:14:46 PM »
Just thought I'd update.  Took Moog to the vets tonight (she was scratching this morning)  He said she has a minor infection in her ear canal and the scabs may be from her rubbing/scratching.  We have drops and anti-biotics for a week and then another appointment.  She was booked for a trim tonight by the mobile groomer (who looked after Merv while I took Moog to the vets, bless her :luv:) so I asked the vet if it was best to leave her.  He suggested clipping closely round the entrance to her ear canal and thinning down the undersides to 'let more air in'.  So Sarah did as requested and when she was clipping Moogs back she found another small patch of sore skin.   :-\ 
We will see what happens. :-\
Love,

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:49:12 PM »

Poor Moog.  :luv:

My friend who has American Cockers had the same thing with Murny earlier in the summer.  On her ear some mysterious sore patches emerged. At first the vet suspected an infected bite and she had some anitbiotic cream to put on. In the end it was a bit of a mystery, it did clear up but it took quite some time.

Barney sends Moog lots of cocker kisses.  :-*  :-*  :-*
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline shaz

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »
oh poor moog i hope she feels better soon lisa , her daddy sends her a big hug :luv:
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:13:21 PM »
Poor Moog.  :luv:
Barney sends Moog lots of cocker kisses.  :-*  :-*  :-*

oh poor moog i hope she feels better soon lisa , her daddy sends her a big hug :luv:

Thanks girls......she never turns down a kiss.... :luv:
Love,

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »
Another update on the ears.  Her left ear is now covered in horrible brown crustyness. :-\
She seems ok and the vet has said to wait until the end of the course of antibiotics before they do anything else. Poor sausage - hope it doesnt drop off ph34r
Love,

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »
Poor Moog.  :'(  Its very strange isn't it?

I'll ask my friend with the American Cocker who had what sounds similar to Moog what helped clear it up. I know it took quite some time.  :-\

Barney's sending more cocker kisses  :-*  :-*  :-* just to keep her topped up!  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
 :-\ Only just seen this Lisa, hope the antibiotics do the trick. Lots of love Moog from your mummy Flo :luv: :-* :-*

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 09:21:10 PM »
 ;) Hi Lisa, how are Moog's ears now?? not seen any posts from you for a while ruok? :D