Author Topic: spaying dilemma  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
spaying dilemma
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »
Molly is booked in for her spaying next Tuesday 19th, I had a friend mention today if it was a good idea just before Christmas in case of complications, I'm feeling guilty anyway to be putting her through this although I know it's for the best... We waited ages for her first season which followed by a phantom pregnancy and she is only just back to normal now.

My dilemma is should I cancel (I hadn't thought about complications and it's now worrying me) and wait till January, it will be over 4 months since her season by then.....
What do I do  :-\ ....
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: spaying dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »
I suppose it depends what you are planning for Christmas - if you are going away with her, or leaving her in the care of someone else and cancelling would be problematic, then I might be tempted to rebook for the beginning of the new year....... :-\ If it is just a "quiet" family Christmas, and you would be able to set aside space for her to rest (and you don't mind being tired if you have been awake with her at night), then I don't see it as a major problem......although it might be worth checking if any complications would be covered by your insurance as a veterinary check-up over the holiday period could be VERY expensive  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
I think you can get them spayed up to 5 months after their season, or 1 month after their season.  It's just easier for the vet, as in the month leading up to and the month following the season things are a little bit swollen, and so the operation takes longer (it's still possible...just most vets prefer to spay when things are 'smaller' and blood flow to the area is lower).

The other thing you may wish to consider is whether the timing is right for Molly hormonally.  Often the 'mood' the bitch is in at the time she is spayed will influence her general mood state following the operation (but this is not always the case).  If Molly generally isnt a moody, hormonal girlie, that probably wouldnt affect her?

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:56:06 PM »
I suppose it depends what you are planning for Christmas - if you are going away with her, or leaving her in the care of someone else and cancelling would be problematic, then I might be tempted to rebook for the beginning of the new year....... :-\ If it is just a "quiet" family Christmas, and you would be able to set aside space for her to rest (and you don't mind being tired if you have been awake with her at night), then I don't see it as a major problem......although it might be worth checking if any complications would be covered by your insurance as a veterinary check-up over the holiday period could be VERY expensive  ph34r

Thanks for your reply Rachel :blink:
We are having a quiet Christmas at home, that was one of the reasons I thought it would be a good time initially as this week was a bit hectic as we've had the builders doing some work and Molly had her Christmas party to go to, we will miss out on the beach romp we always do on Boxing Day though.... think I will have a chat with the vet tomorrow on the closeness to Christmas

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »

The other thing you may wish to consider is whether the timing is right for Molly hormonally.  Often the 'mood' the bitch is in at the time she is spayed will influence her general mood state following the operation (but this is not always the case).  If Molly generally isnt a moody, hormonal girlie, that probably wouldnt affect her?
Thanks Beky :blink:
I guess Molly was rather hormonal with having a phantom pregnancy plus she was a bit moody leading up to her season. she's back to her old self now so i think the timing is right, but would it be in 2 or 3 weeks time :huh:

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »
if you are having a quiet christmas then i think you will be fine.  teri was speyed last week, she was sleepy when i brought her home from the vet but ever since she has been fine...full of beans.

not sure if you work but if you do it is prob a good week as you will be home more to attend to her needs....

just make sure the vet has an emergency number in case - sure you would anyway.

best of luck, it will be good to get it out of the way ;)
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:15:09 PM »
I think she'd be fine too, if you're at home.

When Sapphi was done she was back to normal the day after, it was keeping her calm that was the problem.  ::)

Barney was not good after his castration the night it was done and the following day. He had to go back to the vets and he'd been quite poorly. Despite this he was almost back to normal the day after that.

If she's being done on Tuesday, you've got four days where your vets will be there. I would think if you were going to have a problem it would have come to light by then. Your vet will have emergency arrangements, either covering themselves or an emergency centre. If it was me, and I was having a quiet Christmas at home, then I'd do it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)