Author Topic: 'PAW' Blue  (Read 2477 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
'PAW' Blue
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:40:34 AM »
Blue is being troubled by his paws.  It started with his back right and he has been chewing it on and off for a little while - I had thought it was ear mites and that has been ruled out by the vets.   
However, each time when he has been doing it and I have said that I would take him to the vet, he has, miraculously stopped chewing  >:(, great I thought, until later (when vets are closed).  I have been bathing his in either a salt water solution or a dettol type solution and it seems to give him respite for a while. 

Last night and this morning he is chewing like mad but both his front and back paw now.  I have "attempted" to look at them both but it is difficult, so I am waiting for OH to get up (his turn for a lie in) so I can have a good look. 

We have been very fortunate not to have suffered the dreaded grass seed before - could it be this ?? 

Can anybody think of anything that I could do to give him some comfort until I can get him to the vets tomorrow ??

I am going to bath him later & will use some medicated shampoo to see if that helps - but I am conscious of not wanting to use a load of concoctions as this could irritate it and make him worse  :-\  I am also thinking of trying to get a buster collar for him, or making one, but would that drive him nuts if he is itchy.

He has recently been frontlined.

Thanks 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: 'PAW' Blue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:38:12 AM »
I think a grass seed would make him more sore than irritated, and he would be really unlucky to have seeds in 2 paws.  Let us know what it looks like if you manage to get a look.

I would be tempted to give him some piriton  just in case he's had an allergic reaction to something, and maybe stand him in some warm water with bicarb soda dissolved in it.
helen & jarvis x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »
You can get buster collars in Pets at Home if you do need one over the weekend.

Hope the poorly paws are better soon
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Could he be allergic to the Frontline is that possible? :'(
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:32:48 PM »
Poor Blue. Hope you get him sorted soon Michelle.

Offline sal

• Site Member
  • Oska
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
Theres another thread on here started today by Jay06 about itching and biting paws and they have just used Frontline probably is just a coincidence though  :-\

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
He was frontlined a while ago - by that I mean he is about half way through his dose.  He has never had a problem like this before and we have always used frontline  :-\ 

I feel dead sorry for him, he is not a happy chappy.  He has been bathed this morning and I was able to thoroughly wash the paws.   It gave him a bit of relief but not for long.  I gave him a kong which I hoped would take his mind off things, it worked for a bit. 

The thing is, Blue is ALWAYS with us, but today he has been laying upstairs on our bed, on the clean washing waiting to go away  ph34r :005:  He never does this, in fact it is only at the night time that he is not in the same room as us  :-\

We are deffo at the vets tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Re: 'PAW' Blue - BACK FROM VETS
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:36 PM »
Have been to the vets this afternoon & she agreed that Blue's paws were very sore  :-\ 

To settle him down she has given him anti-biotic and a steroid injection.  He is also on steroids and anti-b's to hopefully sort him out.  His ears havent cleared up properly yet either  :-\ 

He is on his tablets for a couple of weeks and we are to go back then, when hopefully his paws are less inflamed.  She did suggest that it was an allergic reaction and said that they may run some tests etc. 

We'll just have to wait and see, but hopefully the meds will make him more comfy.  Also I need to try and wash his feet after walkies  ::) ::)  that should be fun :005:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
Hopefully the antibiotics and steriods will help him. Hope she manages to get to the bottom of things especially if it is an allergy.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:56:28 PM »
awww poor Blue - would something like paw wax help before he walks?  Not suggesting not washing his feet after a walk, but maybe an extra coating on his paws may stop whatever it is getting to him.

You've not washed your flooring with anything new or changed your washing powder have you?
helen & jarvis x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
I was wondering if where you go for your walks might have been 'sprayed' with weedkiller / lawn feed or something similar. My neighbour's cat had a problem when they treated their lawn for moss last year.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
I was wondering if where you go for your walks might have been 'sprayed' with weedkiller / lawn feed or something similar. My neighbour's cat had a problem when they treated their lawn for moss last year.

good point - check if there has been any spraying in fields or on verges too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »

Yes was just going to post something similar. My friend had the same issue with her springer during the foot & mouth outbreak years ago. All the "sprays" being used by farmers etc caused irritation and he had to wear little dog socks  :luv:

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
My grandson reacted to flea spray I had used on furniture I suppose there is no reason a dog couldn't do the same have you used any on carpets

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »

A very good point, and one that I had considered.  We go for an off lead walk every night on a local field, they regularly cut the grass, not sure about spraying it though  :-\  What I had thought was, just recently my hayfever has been very bad, I wondered if it was pollen - especially since we have recently been walking on this field.    I'll drop an e mail to the council  ph34r  they will probably think I am a right loony when they get it  ::) :o

awww poor Blue - would something like paw wax help before he walks?  Not suggesting not washing his feet after a walk, but maybe an extra coating on his paws may stop whatever it is getting to him.

Not heard of this before, Helen - do you know what it is called ?? 

Have to say, that he did really perk up last night, which is good because he was very miserable on Sunday, which is very unlike him