Author Topic: When to give Krumble his booster?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
When to give Krumble his booster?
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »
Krumble was privately rehomed to us at 15-18months old (you'd think they would have known a more precise age  >:(). We've picked next Sat, the 9th August as his honorary birthday  :D) but he could already have turned two in May, June or July. Need to work out when he should be given his boosters. Guessing if he had his puppy injections at 10weeks old ish then his first annual booster would be 1yr on so between June and October last year? Meaning he is due another booster anytime! We got him mid Oct but were given nothing about him, not even his birthday from his previous owners  :-\

Have read posts before about titre testing. Do a lot of you do this and does it work out cheaper than the usual vaccs? Or do some people go for standard vaccs every two years rather than yearly?

Thanks from me and Krum xx

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: When to give Krumble his booster?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
My vet told me that titre testing costs about the same.
Fern has boosters every two years. In fact she has one every year as some things are alternated. Can't read her vacc. card details atm as I left my glasses in the supermarket today and only just realised  >:(  ::) .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
We've always had Millie vaccinated yearly and will do the same for Betty. Millie was due to go in the middle of December last year but we didn't get round to it until the middle of January ph34r. The vet advised us to take her back in 2 weeks for another lepto seeing as we'd left it a bit late. It was up to us but we took her anyway just to be on the safe side.
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »
because you can't be sure of his vaccination record I would titre test him and then get the vet to give the appropriate boosters.  Don't think they can titre (maybe they can?) for Lepto.

I'm really anti over-vaccinating dogs so I would always err on this side rather than giving dogs jabs just in case.....

helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
Do you know that he had his first set of boosters - do you have his vaccination card, or access to his medical records?  ph34r  

If not, you may find that the vets are unable to give him just a "booster" (due to the vaccination license) and will need to give him a full course; assuming that the titre testing shows a need, of course  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »
Joanne, if  you know what area Krumble came from and the previous owners details/his original name, it might be worth contacting the vets in that area as they may still have his vaccination records on file. I am sure if you explain the situation they will pass on the information you need.
happydog

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
I could get in touch with last owners if needed. Just not keen to seeing as they had our details and were supposed to forward things on but didnt bother their backsides... Shows how much they cared. Was told he was vax'd up to date. Dont like over doing innoculations either so might go with titre tests.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »
I can't believe the previous owners were so irresponsible.  Makes me mad!  >:D

Krumble is sooooooooooooooo gorgeous  - some people are just crap

I'm glad he has you as his new mummy Joanne.  :luv:
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
I could get in touch with last owners if needed. Just not keen to ...
You don't need to, just ring around the vets in their area  :D
happydog

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
it might be worth contacting the vets in that area as they may still have his vaccination records on file. I am sure if you explain the situation they will pass on the information you need.

Bonnee was already registered with my vets when we took her on; but they still had to start a new set of records for her  :-\   They would only pass on information to me from her previous medical records if I had written permission from her previous owner - due to the DPA laws  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
it might be worth contacting the vets in that area as they may still have his vaccination records on file. I am sure if you explain the situation they will pass on the information you need.

Bonnee was already registered with my vets when we took her on; but they still had to start a new set of records for her  :-\   They would only pass on information to me from her previous medical records if I had written permission from her previous owner - due to the DPA laws  :-\
But they wouldn't have to pass on any information would they? -just advise as to when the next vaccinations are due  ;) .
happydog

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »

Bonnee was already registered with my vets when we took her on; but they still had to start a new set of records for her  :-\   They would only pass on information to me from her previous medical records if I had written permission from her previous owner - due to the DPA laws  :-\

Really....When we got Sally I just walked in with her paperwork to the vets and said she was changing her surname and address and they did it  ph34r
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Brodiesmum

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »
More and more vets are saying every two or three years on the other forums.  And recent research shows puppy vacs can last for up to 7 years.

I am against over vaccination having lost one dog to his booster.  Even the pet insurance companies are now changing their wording to say "up to date vaccination in accordance with your vets recommendation" instead of "yearly booster".

It has taken over 10yrs, but info about over vaccination is finally beginning to get through to some vets.

But everyone is entitled to do what they believe is right.

So even if you believe in yearly boosters, I would titre test just to see if he really needs them.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
More and more vets are saying every two or three years on the other forums.  And recent research shows puppy vacs can last for up to 7 years.

I am against over vaccination having lost one dog to his booster.  Even the pet insurance companies are now changing their wording to say "up to date vaccination in accordance with your vets recommendation" instead of "yearly booster".

It has taken over 10yrs, but info about over vaccination is finally beginning to get through to some vets.

But everyone is entitled to do what they believe is right.

So even if you believe in yearly boosters, I would titre test just to see if he really needs them.

Several vaccinations are already licensed for a three year, not one year, schedule, so the decision is taken out of the vets hands  ;) - although I have heard of vets using these brands on an annual basis - which I don' believe is good medical or business practice  :-\

Sadly, there are very few boarding kennels/day care/pet sitters which accept the results of titre testing, as their insurance requires the dogs to be vaccinated....... :-\
Oldies Club

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Will go with titre tests I think. Just to sound a complete donekey how do you pronounce it? Is it like litre or lighter? Might still try and get in touch with owners as it would be good to know his real birthday. Plus when I first got him and took him to vet the vet thought he was 4/5 because he was in poor condition and had terrible teeth. Pretty sure he was young though as he's in tip top form now and has sparkly knashers thanks to nylabones and chicken wings!