Author Topic: When do I start to panic about sickness?  (Read 739 times)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
When do I start to panic about sickness?
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Reggie is being really sick. He has obviously eaten some plant life as there was some long grass in there.  He can't keep anything down and vomits even after water.  It only started about 4 o clock - and his gums still look pink, he doesn't seem to low between times. Still moving around etc if a little more subdued.  I gave him some bread because last time he was sick the vet said it would help to push through anything sharp he may have eaten, but that came back up within 10 mins so think I'll stick to the water now. He does sometimes try to eat the pampas grass, but hasn't been in the back garden today. We were out in woods all day yesterday, but if he ate anything there I would have thought he would have started being sick before now?!  No sign of an upset tummy or swollen/hard stomach.  So when do I start to panic!  I may have to train to be a vet if this little pup keeps his ailments up. So far this month we have been in to have grass seeds removed, a suspected pulled ligament and now this.  He finished the medication for the ligament two weeks ago so it can't be that.  He ate his breakfast this morning, but it wasn't digested and that came up this afternoon.  Sorry to be so graphic.  I hate it when they are sick, and I am not sure how long it would take a 10 months old pup to get dehydrated (he is a healthy size 13.5 k).  What's your experience :embarassed:

Offline KatieJean

Re: When do I start to panic about sickness?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
Sorry I can't help but hope he's better soon

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:06:09 PM »
I would take him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning  ;)  it does sound like he has some kind of obstruction  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Have you checked to see if he has a skin tent? Has he passed faeces ok? Is he drinking a lot of water then vomiting or is it even with small amounts? If he were mine, I would give him until the morning then if no better get him to the vet, esp if there is the risk of a foreign body. Just give him small amounts of water little and often tonight. It might even be worth ringing the on call vet for their advice.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »
Have you checked to see if he has a skin tent? Has he passed faeces ok? Is he drinking a lot of water then vomiting or is it even with small amounts? If he were mine, I would give him until the morning then if no better get him to the vet, esp if there is the risk of a foreign body. Just give him small amounts of water little and often tonight. It might even be worth ringing the on call vet for their advice.

Thanks everyone. He has just done a poo which looks normal.  Even with a little water he's sick.  I am going to stay up with him and ring the vet if it doesn't settle.  I will definately get him checked in the morning. He is such a worry and will eat anything. 

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »
hope all is well in the morning!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:08:17 PM »
I hope he is ok.  :luv: You could maybe give the emergency vets a ring as they will give you advice over the phone.
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:33 PM »
Hope he is ok - def get him to the vets in the morning if he is no better  :luv: :-*

If you up in the night PM me as I'm gonna be up all night too - dogs the things we do for them  :shades:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »
How is he this morning?

Millie

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
How is he this morning?

Well he seems bright this morning if a little sleepy and wasn't sick over night. His skin tent is normal and so are the gums when pressed.  He ate some rice this morning and evening and kept that down.  He is also drinking and weeing fine. Nothing from the other end, but I guess if he was that sick yesterday evening, there won't be much to come out??  He had the kennel cough vaccine on Friday and was a bit raspy over the weekend. I know that was a couple of days, but I wonder if that could have upset him.