Author Topic: when to get spayed  (Read 824 times)

Offline lj66

when to get spayed
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »
Hi everyone

Quick question when do you think is the best time to get your doggy spayed :huh:
2 weeks to go before i get bundle of joy really excited  such a good site for info so glad i found it  :D

thanx again lisa

Offline babushka

Re: when to get spayed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »
At the very least after her 1st season.

Offline black taz

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
I got Kelly done at 6 months -she was an RSPCA rescue and so an agreement that she would be done as soon as 6 months.  I phoned about 10 vets before having her done and the majority said to get her done before her first season (but that was over 12 years ago).  Kelly will be 13 in August and hardly a days illness in her life - so don't think having her done so soon was a mistake.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
All my girls are done 3 months after the first season  :blink: gives them time to mature  :blink:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:29:04 PM »
All my girls are done 3 months after the first season  :blink: gives them time to mature  :blink:

Did the same with Misha - had her first season at a year old and then she was spayed 3 months later.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »

There are pros and cons to any time, really...

I think a lot of people do prefer to wait until after the dog has had their first season, while others opt to spay at 6 months (which seems to be what most vets advise).

We opted for pre-first season - but we didn't just follow the vet's advice, I looked into the pros and cons a lot and decided that, for us, it was the best option.   ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »

There are pros and cons to any time, really...

I think a lot of people do prefer to wait until after the dog has had their first season, while others opt to spay at 6 months (which seems to be what most vets advise).

We opted for pre-first season - but we didn't just follow the vet's advice, I looked into the pros and cons a lot and decided that, for us, it was the best option.   ;)

Same for us. Hattie actually belongs to two vets because we're in London during the week, and we got different advice from each. After a LOT of thought we decided pre-first season too. It was a very difficult decision and she did seem so little but for us it was the right one

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »
Just to add to the debate, my last dog Lily was spayed at 7 months because she had vaginitis and we had no problems at all, and now Carla has just been spayed  3 months after her first season - stitches out tomorrow - and she has done sooo well, so personally I think its a matter of whats right for yours and your girls circumstances. Some vets do say to have a first season so that the dog is mature and the chances of incontinence is supposedly slimmer.  I wished I'd have had Carla done sooner (with hindsight) as she was terrible before her season and during it.  Best wishes whatever you decide when you have your little one, love Heather xxx