Author Topic: 1 testicle  (Read 1412 times)

Offline CrunchyMand

1 testicle
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »
Can I just tell you how sad I am. I had dreams of showing him, letting my 9 yr old enter junior handling. I spent months here searching for a breeder, reading about showing and looking forward to him The breeder told  me he had 2 testicles and maybe he did. But when we went to the vets at 9 weeks we were told he only has one testicle. Now at 8 months he still has only 1. The vet said he needs castrating. He will never be the show dog that I dreamt of  :'(
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
Re: 1 testicle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Our show boy only has one testicle hence why he is with us (breeder had hoped to show him  :-\) but sadly he is now nearly 2 and still no testicle. Our vet advised waiting as they can drop up until the age of 2.
Sorry he will not make the show ring  :-\  maybe you can have another in time  :blink:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
I would give it a bit more time before you go for castration if you were hoping to show him, he's still young yet and 'missing' testicles can drop as the dog matures. Can the vet feel the undescended testicle in his abdomen?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
I can understand that you're disappointed but that cant be the only reason you got him?  :huh: ph34r I'm sure you can still enter him in shows and go to ringcraft for the enjoyment. I feel a cliche coming on but I shall refrain.....

its the taking part and not the winning that counts

:-\

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline maggieann

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
My dog has only one testicle, he's big boned, has had behavioural issues - and could never be a show dog. But I love him so much and everyday I'm so thankful that I got the chance to give him a home. I can understand that you did a lot of research and now feel sad, disappointed, and maybe cheated, but please try and celebrate the wonderful dog that you have; maybe there's other things, such as agility that you could do with him.   
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
I would hold off with the castration, it still may come down.  ;)  A friends cocker didn't have his 2nd testicle descend until 12 months, so don't give up hope.  ;)  Personally, i wouldn't let the vet persuade me to castrate him.  :-\  Usually the breeder do get the puppies vet checked just before they leave for their new homes, and this would have been noticed at his check.  Do you know if this was done?  The vets do keep records of the puppy checks, so if this was the case then you would have cause to speak to the breeder.  :-\  Another point to make though, is at 8 weeks there are no guarentees that a puppy would mature to be good enough to show, and it really is a sort of gamble really.

There are still fun shows, agility, training, and you could still take him to ringcraft even if you don't show him.  I hope you love him for what he is though, and if your plans to show him don't succeed, perhaps try another activity.  Personally, i wouldn't think its that important, but i can understand your dissapointment if you've had your heart set on showing. 

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
I had my hopes on junior handling and fun shows for him, so am sad about that. He is from showing lines, hence why I went with the breeder. I don't know if he was vet checked but I was told he had two testicles by the breeder.

I would not return him though, I love my little fluff bundle. He has the best personality ever, doesn't bark much and is very laid back and plassive which is needed in my noisy house. He greets all other dogs with a wag and even if they bark at him he doesn't bark back.

We have been puppy training and are doing the intermediate course in Feb- we love dog training, so fun.

He has grown so much since we got him, can't believe how big he is now. I would only swap him for a dog with two testicles.......only kidding.... wouldn't swap him for the world, he is all mine, my fluff monster!
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
I had my hopes on junior handling and fun shows for him, so am sad about that.

But you can still do those things :D I appreciate you're disappointed that your boy only has 1 at the moment, but there's no reason why you can't go to fun shows and get your daughter involved in Junior Handling if that's what she wants. Even if you have to neuter your boy, it won't be a problem as neutered dogs are allowed to be shown at KC licenced shows. It's only if you had ambitions of serious showing (at Championship Shows etc) that your dog would be at a big disadvantage if he was neutered as competition is so tough at this level.
Jane

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »
Just to add to Jane's post, although you have to enter a breed class to go in junior handling,  during JH it's the handler who is judged not the dog. So your daughter may still do well :luv:

Also our Tyke was much older when his second arrived I don't remember him been in any puppy classes, maybe one so he must have been at least one when his second descended. :shades:
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline chrisj1957

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:49:27 PM »
My 2 boys Baxter and Angus are 10 months old and only have 1 testicle each I have had all sorts of advice regarding this.Our vet said to wait until 18 months old to see if the other ones drops so far no sign of it.What I was concerned about was that getting 2 dogs from a reputable breeder I never thought both of them would have the same problem.I read a comment on this thread re;a dog being big boned with behavior issues well Baxter has this as well ,the older he gets the worse he is getting Angus however is so placid and well behaved.Is this a normal cocker thing any other advice appreciated.

Offline brightsparkler

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
you can still show him contact kennel club with letter from your vet saying he was done for medical reasons , and the kennel club will issue you with a certificate with permission to show.

Offline maggieann

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:33 PM »
My 2 boys Baxter and Angus are 10 months old and only have 1 testicle each I have had all sorts of advice regarding this.Our vet said to wait until 18 months old to see if the other ones drops so far no sign of it.What I was concerned about was that getting 2 dogs from a reputable breeder I never thought both of them would have the same problem.I read a comment on this thread re;a dog being big boned with behavior issues well Baxter has this as well ,the older he gets the worse he is getting Angus however is so placid and well behaved.Is this a normal cocker thing any other advice appreciated.

Sorry for going off topic.
Hi, it's my dog who had behavioural issues, however I believe it was due to him having an unsettled start to his life. My dog is now what most people would consider a 'normal' dog. With issues regarding behaviour, I believe there's always a root cause - the difficult part is discovering that root cause. With my dog I used positive reinforcement in order to gain his trust. 
I've never had problems with any of my cockers as regards behaviour, so I don't believe behavioural issues are a 'normal cockers thing.' 
Chris, you should post a thread regarding the issues you are having with Baxter, I'm sure you'll get lots of very useful advice.  :D

Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 12:20:14 AM »
Just to say my Dylan who is now nearly 17 months, his second one only appeared around 4 weeks ago, so don't give up hope just yet, there is still plenty of time.