Author Topic: 14 months and no season ?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
14 months and no season ?
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »
My Ruby is 14 months old this week and still has no sign of a season  :-\  I've spoken to her breeder who said her mum had her 1st season at 10 months - I guess she could have had a silent season - but she is very puppyish in her mannerisms still.  Has anyone's girlie been this late?? Do I need to speak to a vet??
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: 14 months and no season ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »

I wouldn't worry just yet, some bitches can go ages before their first season - eg Mary's Lottie didn't have hers until after her 2nd birthday. I think it's unlikely Ruby has had a silent season - it's not always easy for owners to detect a silent season but if she's been coming into contact with male dogs in the park they'd be quick to let you know.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
My Inca was 2 years and 2 weeks before her first season, so still plenty of time, even now her seasons are only every 13 months.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
Don't worry...Nina was 14/15 mths old when she had her 1st season, her mum Jo Jo was 10 mths old with her 1st.  So it doesn't always follow that the offspring will have their 1st one at the same age as their mum.  ;)

Personally, i think the older the better, then at least you don't have the worry from keeping her away from the boys.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Thanks everyone - I'm not stressing that much, I just wondered how unusual it was to be late starting.  I'm not looking forward to her being in season - we will get her spayed 3 months after, Dennis has already been neutered so that's not a problem, Poor Ruby's probably fed up with me looking at her bits for any signs...  ph34r  :005:
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Mybuddies

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
 Yes i know what you mean,   i think commonly most of mine come into first season at between 9 -11 months,  however poppy did not have her first until she was 13 months I was beginning to wonder if I had missed something  :shades: but she went on to have a perfectly normal season

See the thing is ...   you are missing a trick here,   the best and foolproof way to ensure your girl comes into season is book into an important event,   Eg, enter into a show you dont want to miss,   book into a training workshop or the best one is of course book into a holiday that you plan to take the dogs on and voila along comes " the season" :005: :005: to coincide with important event ph34r

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
See the thing is ...   you are missing a trick here,   the best and foolproof way to ensure your girl comes into season is book into an important event,   Eg, enter into a show you dont want to miss,   book into a training workshop or the best one is of course book into a holiday that you plan to take the dogs on and voila along comes " the season" :005: :005: to coincide with important event ph34r

Ain't that the truth!  :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joyce

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
My Poppet had her first season when she was 2yrs and 2mths, didn't have another one until she was 4yrs old, we had her mated then, had a nice litter of puppies, went into season seven mths after that,next one was 17 mths after that.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
My Poppet had her first season when she was 2yrs and 2mths, didn't have another one until she was 4yrs old, we had her mated then, had a nice litter of puppies, went into season seven mths after that,next one was 17 mths after that.

Same with my Inca, first season 2 years 2 weeks, next one 13 months later when we had her mated and she produced 9 healthy pups, so although seasons are far apart she's far from infertile... :005: