Author Topic: When is it safe to introduce a non vaccinated pup to another dog  (Read 324 times)

Offline Darwin

A close friend has just got a just got a 6 1/2 week cockerpoo ( yes I know it's really to young etc and I don't want to re open all the discussions about cockerpoos), but when will it be safe to introduce the new pup to Darwin.  Darwin of course is fully vaccinated and up to date with his advocate.   I was going to wait until the pup has at least been health checked and had first vaccination.

Offline seaangler

Re: When is it safe to introduce a non vaccinated pup to another dog
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
When is it safe to introduce a non vaccinated pup to another dog ..Chris

Third paragraph down

http://www.bathvetgroup.co.uk/site.aspx?i=fa121

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
As long as the adult dog is vaccinated or titre tested as appropriate then it should be fine. Most pups aren't vaccinated when they go to their new homes at 8 weeks and many of those homes already have existing dogs. It's contact with unvaccinated dogs or taking them to areas where unvaccinated dogs may have been which is not advisable.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
As long as the adult dog is vaccinated or titre tested as appropriate then it should be fine. Most pups aren't vaccinated when they go to their new homes at 8 weeks and many of those homes already have existing dogs.

Thats what my vet told me too.  Have also had pups come to stay that hadn't completed their vacs and couldn't go into kennels.  I think the main thing is that the puppy isn't allowed to played in public areas where unknown dogs may have been.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Darwin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
Thanks.  I'm going to wait to introduce them until the pup has been to the vet for a initial check up, which will hopefully be  today.