Author Topic: When to Panic?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
When to Panic?
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Ok, so we picked Lyla up and she seemed a bit shell shocked and not really herself which we expected.  When we got home we took her out of her travel crate and into the cage and she hated it.  She cried the whole time.  We have put her back into the travel crate and taken the top off it so she is in the bottom hard shell bit.  She seems happy enough and she is showing no signs of moving out of it.  I am on high alert for her doing  anything other than try to turn herself which is allowed.

I have 3 problems really.  One, she is growling at Mr Sheryl when he tries to move her and to a lesser extent me too....do you think it is ok to use a cloth muzzle?  I know she won't mean it if she tries to bite.  In fact I hope that the Lyla I have just now is temporary as she is a different dog :'(  Two, she has a rumbling cough that started today which they think is caused by all the IV fluids she has had and it really seems to bother her. Three and the worst thing for me is that she hasn't been and will not eat.  I have tried steak, cheese, fish and sausage.  I know she only had her op on Wednesday but I thought she might eat by now. Even worse, she has Rimadyl which I have been told she can only have with or after her food and if she doesn't eat she cannot have it.  How will she cope without her pain relief?

I feel like I am falling at the first hurdle :'( :'(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
Re: When to Panic?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
 :bigarmhug: for you and get well  :-*  :-* for Lyla.

What was she eating at the vets?
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
The only food they managed to give her was a small amount of wet food syringed into her mouth :-\

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
To try and get her to eat it might be worth pureeing some plain cooked chicken and syringe feeding her so that she starts to get the taste of the food (I had a similar situation with cat that refused to eat, in her case it was because she couldn't smell the food) - you might have to water it down a bit so that it will pass through the syringe easily into her mouth.  With the cat I only had to do it a couple of times before she was happy to eat by herself.  It could be that her throat is sore from tubes and would explain why she doesn't want to eat.  Even frozen cubes of pureed chicken that she can lick might help sooth her throat.

Whilst we don't want to see our dogs suffering when they have pain relief it can make them believe that they can move around freely as it doesn't hurt and thereby hinder the healing process.  If she does feel a little discomfort it will discourage her from moving around too much too soon - when she does start moving about you will at least know that she is feeling a little bit better.

Big hugs to you and Lyla - each day will get better :luv:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I haven't got much advice other than try not to panic too much ( I know it's easier said than done!) and let her settle into being back home. Have you left her alone with the food and have you tried her normal food?

I can't see it being harmful to use a muzzle but perhaps leave it on for a while before you move her so she doesn't start to associate it with pain or she may become difficult to put the muzzle on.

Millie

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
First of all huge hugs xxx

Now, I can quote a certain someone from when Murphy wasn't eating, but I don't have to / it was you!!!

She will eat, it was link sausages that won him round at the end up.

I'm sure a cloth muzzle would be fine, poor thing will have been poked and prodded and moved so much she will be growling a 'oh not again' kinda way I'm sure.

You are a super mum to the girls - don't doubt yourself, ok madam??
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »
is she drinking......i know you want her to eat, but i would be very concerned if she wasnt drinking either.. :-\

a growl in my opinion is a good thing as at least you know when something is hurting her and know when to stop, a muzzle shouldnt be too much of a problem unless she associates this with pain or discomfort, then she could become difficult.

try not to panic too much (easier said than done i know because i would be a mess by now) but she will pick up on your behaviour.

perhaps some fish sandwich paste licked off your finger, as if she has a sore mouth or throat she doesnt have to chew this.....and of course, it stinks and we all know that cockers loooove stinky things.. ;)

please keep us posted, ....lyla has really tugged at my heartstrings all over christmas, and i would love to hear of her making any progress, however small..... :luv:

Offline Darwin

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Just sending you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
No, not drinking either. But then she hasn't needed to because of being on the drip.  I have tried watered down food and honey too but when she sees the syringes she jumps up and turns her head which cannot do her any good at all.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
shes been well hydrated at the vets for now but i would think that if she hasnt had a drink by tomorrow morning, i would contact the vet..... :'(

will she lick anything off your fingers?....

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
Sheryl when Pebbles came out of hospital after having pancreatitis she too wouldn't eat. So I put a small plate of doggy biscuits down and left it, within the hour they were gone :luv: maybe if you just did something like that (only in her crate) and left her to it she might just might eat them?? it's worth a try don't you think? It's like them saying I'm not eating just cause you want me to ph34r. After that pebbles was sort of ok (you know the rest) Lyla might not have her full appetite back yet good luck Hun x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
Just spoken to the original vet who sent her to East Neuk.  She says it is way too early to do without painkillers and that if she cannot eat by tomorrow lunchtime she will give her an injection.  She says she may be in more pain than was thought and/or have a nauseous tummy both of which would make her leave food.  She will give her an anti sickness jab too.  I am off to phone M&S vetphone to make sure they will cover her bill tomorrow being New Years Day.....not that it would stop me if they said no!  My poor wee angel :'(

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »
thats good....at least you have a plan for tomorrow if shes still not eating/drinking......perhaps an anti-sickness and painkilling injection will make her feel more like eating .....

for now perhaps like poppsie suggests, just pop a few treats next to her and leave her, you can only hope  ;)

i will continue to look for updates as she is very much on my mind  :luv:

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
Agree it's good to have a plan in place, although I know it won't stop you worrying.

Sending positive vibes to Lyla, hope she eats something soon  :-*
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
Just sending you loads of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010