Author Topic: When to Panic?  (Read 4691 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: When to Panic?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
Leave some yummy food in the crate with her - as long as kali can't get there then at least you will knw if she will eat without you around (try and hide some pain relief in it

Good luck I don't envy what you are going through and I will be praying that she takes food and water real soon x x x

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
Hi Sheryl sorry to hear you are having problems getting Lyla to eat poor girl has had a rough time of it.  Seems like a vicious circle wont eat because she is in pain so no pain meds.  Have you tried coating the rimadyl in something really gooey like pate or low fat soft cheese.  You can get rimadyl in liquid form but I have heard it tastes awful so that might put her off. You might want to look at giving Lyla some milk thistle to protect her liver if she is going to be on Rimadyl for a while.  Really hope you get this sorted soon I know how hard it is nursing them back after this type of surgery, big hugs to you all
Cathy
Cheekie Charlie
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
Just want to send you and Lyla  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
sending postive healing thoughts for your little girl.
val x

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 08:19:01 PM »
(((((( hugs to you Sheryl ))))  its a huge stress at the moment for you I'm sure given a good nights sleep you will both feel better in the morning.
Will be thinking of you  :luv: don't panic your doing the very best Lyla  :luv: stay calm and so will she  :luv:

Hoping the New Year brings health and happiness to you all

Jo x

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
Sheryl you can get pain patches for dogs cant they put a patch on Lyla then when the pain subsides she might feel like having a wee snack. 
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline lottiescat

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
Hi
Pain is the worst thing and that would put anybody off eating. I am surprised that your vet discharged her if she was not drinking well.Have you tried chicken breast or fish just left in her cage?
Just sending you our love and best wishes .....Catherine and Lottie

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Oh Sheryl I do feel for you and Lyla - it's a tough time; I've had success with chicken pureed icecubes when  nothing else was acceptable - sending our best wishes xx

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
:bigarmhug: You're not falling at the first hurdle Sheryl, you're (quite rightly) worried about your little girl. :bigarmhug:

I would imagine that Lyla is just very pleased to be home. She'll be exhausted from everything that has been going on, both physically and emotionally (being away from you).

She'll be very sore from being moved today. If she's coughing that will also be hurting her. I would leave her to rest in her crate, move her as little as possible, and leave some food (with the rimadyl in it) in her crate. My guess is that once she's had a good few hours sleep, she'll eat her food.

The growling is, as you said, because she's sore. If you have to move her then use a cloth muzzle, but remove it as soon as you can (I know you would anyway).

I'm sure you know how to test for hydration (pinch the skin and if it returns to shape she's fine, if its stays pinched, she's dehydrated). She's been on a drip at the vets and so will be have been hydrated when you bought her home, she should be fine without drinking for a good few hours.

Its really daunting isn't it, going from having your dog cared for by a team of experts to suddenly having to do it on your own, but you're the expert on Lyla, she's best off at home with you, try not to panic, just let her rest and let her heal :bigarmhug:

Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
I don't really have any good advice, although at times like this I so wish I knew more  :-\  Just wanted to send you and Lyla massive hugs and positive thoughts you have been through so much recently.  Glad she is at home with you, even if things are difficult at the moment, as least she is where she belongs.

Take care of your self, you are doing an amazing job of holding it all together - I would have been in bits by now, you are doing brilliantly, and things can only improve now, even if it seems much too slow to you.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: 

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »
Only just caught up with all of this, sending you and Lyla big  :bigarmhug:

Don't panic, all sounds pretty normal for what she has been through. Tinned cat food usually entices them to eat  ;) I'd ask about changing her from Rimadyl to something else, I know Rimadyl can upset tummies quite a bit. If you must move her then yes, I would use a muzzle, I'm sure it's painful for her but you need to protect yourselves too  :-\

Everything crossed here for her  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
Molly didn't like the syringe in her mouth either, they tried to put charcoal into her this way, not successfully. Think they think you are doing something horrible to them.

They put it in some food in the end and she did eat it. Will she lick off your fingers, maybe a smear of something meat paste or cream cheese
might get her to think about food. Really feel for you and her. Hope she starts eating a little soon.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: hope she starts to eat and drink very soon.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »
:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: hope she starts to eat and drink very soon.

So do I.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 08:17:08 AM »
I am so lucky.  The vet that sent Lyla to the clinic for the op was on call last night and gave me not that number but her own mobile number.  I did text her and she got back to me about 3am to say not to worry about the drinking until today.

I am so angry with myself now because I did notice that one of Lylas back legs seemed to scuff the carpet occasionally.  The fool that I am, I got the groomer to clip her nails.  I read up on it and it is called 'conscious proprioception' where they lose the ability to perceive where their feet are.  There is no doubt that the op would have been less severe if I had acted on it then :-\.  Still, it is like the AIHA, by the time I have finished, there will be nothing and no sign that I won't recognise!

Oh and at about 2.30am she ate 10 doggie choc drops and lapped water out of a small bowl twice.  Ok, not a great start but a start nevertheless!  Happy New Year to me!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe