Author Topic: 'plaster' has come off  (Read 1579 times)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
'plaster' has come off
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
Hi .. this is mostly aimed at Sheryl Marie and Jenny as I know they've recently experienced this but anyone else is of course welcome to answer!  :lol2: :lol2:

Jennie has been wriggling about because the plaster over her wound/scar is pulling on her skin (I can see it) .. I had been applying gentle stroking movements over it to relive some of the 'itchy' feeling... but this isn't enough for her, and I'm worried her 'body popping moves' to relieve it herself might hurt her!

So I've taken the plaster pad thing off completely now (omg!) but now I'm worried she might catch the wound/stitches on her crate bars!  :-\ :-\

Should I go and fetch a new one from my local vet? How long did your patients have their plasters on for?  The vet nurse who discharged us said that the plaster would probably work itself loose in a couple of days .. which it was doing anyway ... have I been too eager to take it off?

Thanks in advance!
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline black taz

Re: 'plaster' has come off
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
Not sure what operation she has had, but when Kira was speyed she pulled her plaster off the first night.  It looked dry, so i just put a t-shirt on her (legs through the arms) and secured the waist round her chest so that the wound was covered.

Offline KellyT

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »
oh thats a good idea Black Taz - she's had spinal surgery :( so it's along her back, right in the middle

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
I was told to take the plaster off after 3 days which is what I did.  Lyla had dissolving stitches so all that was visible was a small line xxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline KellyT

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:20:47 PM »
Jennie hasn't got dissolving stitches  :-\
I'm a little bit annoyed by that cos she went to one of the most expensive referral centres in the Midlands and they put ordinary stitches in, when they could have used dissolving ones, or the special 'super glue' that my normal practice use.
So she has to go to our normal vet next week to have them out .. more stress for her  :-\

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
Oh dear, I agree that it is additional stress that you and Jennie don't need.  I wouldn't worry about the cage causing any trouble though. She wouldn't hit it moving around, maybe only lying down and she will know to move off the bars if it hurts. :-*

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Sorry not much help here either. Jem had some very scary and unsightly staples down her back which our own vet removed last Friday. Because she was so slow to progress at first she was at the vets for a week so they had taken the pad off by the time she came home. My sister kept goin on about infection with no covering to wound but I know from my own experience that you also need air to dry the wound too.  Hope you and Jenny okay, its blooming hard work but worth it when you see them standing again :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
Dennis didnt have dissolving stitches , his were taken out 2 weeks after surgery. The plaster was taken off at about 3 days i think. Dennis looked like a handbag with a zip  ph34r

Offline KellyT

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »
Poor Jemima  :-*

The wound area itself is dry and clean - a little lumpy  :-\ but otherwise looks good - perhaps I'll put a little vest top on her overnight just in case she rubs them - a couple of the end bits of the stitches are quite long

thanks all - hugs and  :-* to Lyla & Jemima .. and don't forget to eat and rest Sheryl and Jenny! x

Offline KellyT

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
Dennis didnt have dissolving stitches , his were taken out 2 weeks after surgery. The plaster was taken off at about 3 days i think. Dennis looked like a handbag with a zip  ph34r

aww poor Dennis :( see I thought about 2 weeks too, though the consultant said early next week, my vet has compromised on middle of next week!

I think I'm being a worrywart - I'm sure she'll actually be fine  ph34r ph34r

:-* and hugs for Dennis & you too Maria x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
It is difficult not to worry after all they have been through I suppose.  I look for new things to worry about every day with Lyla but she remains steadfastly healthy, happy and active....despite me worrying ph34r :005:

Offline KellyT

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
well now I'm worrying more because I was just giving her a love and thought eew something up my nail... it was a flea!!!  ph34r ph34r ph34r but the little b***** was too quick for me and jumped away!

Now they are both regularly front lined, and Millie had none over the weekend because I've bathed and clipped her, and all their bedding was washed at 90 degrees cos Millie had been unwell, which means Jennie must have brought it home from the vets!  :fear2: :fear2:

I can't bath her, I can't frontline her ... eeek!! now I'm itching all over!!  ph34r

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
Oh no!!  Is there something dry you can apply?  After the stitches come out of course.  That's just about all you need eh?  :bigarmhug:

Offline KellyT

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
I might try leave in conditioner and a fine comb later.. but that will only catch them if I'm lucky  :-\

urgh .. gotta  :lol2: else I'll  :'(   evil little things! >:D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
Dennis looked like a handbag with a zip  ph34r

:rofl1: Sorry, not very funny for poor Dennis   :-*