Author Topic: Sticky eyes  (Read 480 times)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Sticky eyes
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:29 PM »
Should I be worried ? Dennis has really sticky eyes ATM , it sort of fills up from inside the bottom of his eye? It's clear/White not yellow or green. I've been wiping it away with cool boiled water.
Should I be worried or could it just be like a cold and something to keep an eye on?
Thanks x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: Sticky eyes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »
Perhaps something to keep an eye on Maria  ;)
Bathing with cooled boiled water/black tea is good & soothing. The majority of dogs have some eye discharge to some extent or another - but some more than other. You know Dennis best & will notice if there any changes to his eyes or their discharge.
Possibly after all the trauma he has been through & medication he has been on, he maybe getting a touch of dry eye but if you have any concerns you could just check with your vets  ;) 
You can by visco tears at the chemists (artificial tears licenced for humans ) if you think it might help - if his 3rd eye lid starts to close over his eye or they are starting to look red aswell as gunky, then best to get them checked out  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
Lexi gets a clear type eye gunk in one eye, which has to be cleaned every day otherwise it sets like concrete.  Have been to the vet with it, but they could find nothing.  So I just clean her eyes every morning with warm water and dab on a bit of olive oil to stop any further discharge sticking to her fur.  She had started to lose a bit of fur under her eyes from the daily cleaning but since dabbing a bit olive oil on its started to regrow.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
I'd suggest check ears too. Maisie had an ear infection recently and the eye on the corresponding side was runny and sticky until the ear problem cleared. She'd shown no signs of a ear problem either, I just found it on a routine check. In retrospect I realised the eye had probably been a more noticeable first sign so made a mental not to watch out for it next time!  :police: