Author Topic: Optimmune Alternative?  (Read 28349 times)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Optimmune Alternative?
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:06:24 AM »
A friend of a friend has just had her 4 year old cocker diagnosed with dry eye & prescribed Optimmune.  Apparently the insurance company will only pay for the 1st year.  :huh:

I wondered if anyone knows if there is a cheaper alternative for treating dry eye?  :-\

Any info would be very much appreciated.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Re: Optimmune Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
I've recently had all this with Meg. My vet told me that Viscotears gel is the same thing and only costs a few pounds.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
I've recently had all this with Meg. My vet told me that Viscotears gel is the same thing and only costs a few pounds.

I don't think they're quite the same - Viscotears (and all the other cheaper artificial tear products) can be very helpful for dry eyes (by providing lubrication) but am pretty sure Optimmune contains Cyclosporine (an immunosuppressant drug) which is why it is so expensive and is prescription only.
Jane

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »

I don't think they're quite the same - Viscotears (and all the other cheaper artificial tear products) can be very helpful for dry eyes (by providing lubrication) but am pretty sure Optimmune contains Cyclosporine (an immunosuppressant drug) which is why it is so expensive and is prescription only.

Really, thanks that's very helpful. I may go back and ask my vet about it  :huh:  Just goes to show how advice can vary.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

We almost rehomed a dog last year with dry eye and looked into it carefully and as Jane said Viscotears and Optimmune are used along side each other. Viscotears by itself is not enough. Prices vary if you could get a prescription from the vet you maybe able to buy online  :blink:

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »
When we still had Millie, she had dry eye and we were never given Optimmune, we were given Viscotears and we also used Genticine( maybe spelt wrong).  I'm not totally sure but i think it was a antibiotic.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »
My Ellie has had Optimmune now for 4 years,  the surgeon that operated on her eye say's that it is the best oitment for her and won't prescribe anything else, but it still worth asking your vet,

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys.  :blink:

I think i will tell her to speak to the vets about repeat prescriptions for online order's as its a fair bit cheaper.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »
Wendy

Lacrilube is good too but it's not a replacement for Optimmune. Jane is right, it's the Cyclosporine A which is the costly component. She can use the Optrex spray you spray on the outside of the eye and Hydromellose which you can mix into a spray, can along with Viscotears and Lacrilube be bought very cheaply from the chemists. Of course they are NOT for her dog.  ;)

On top of that she can wipe the eye several times a day with cold chamomile tea and get some Euphrasia, (eyebright), homeopathic remedies from Dorwest Herbs.

I'll message you some foods which help too.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friends cocker Wendy  :'(    ... insurance company don't sound like much cop  :dunno: (do you know who she's with?)
Purdey was on Optimmune but also alternated between Lacrilube & Viscotears too. She's now prescribed Maxitrol which, for her, has worked brilliantly & is (paws crossed  ;) )  problem free! We don't have any problems with insurers & are able to claim but have heard that it is possible to order online at much cheaper prices ...
(......... however, my only concern with that is, that, some weeks ago I watch a programme about drugs being ordered over the net & although they came with all the correct instructions & in the right packaging, when they were tested, they didn't have the correct content they should have & were in fact quite dangerous!.... but that's just me being over cautious  ph34r)

Sometimes though Wendy, after a course of treatment the tear ducts can right themselves & start working again or work intermittently - hope this is the case for your friends dog & as Mel says, diet may/can help too   ;) :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks for the further info Lindsey & Mel.  :D

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
Freya, our nine year old cocker, has suffered from dry eye for many years.  She has been on Optimune for a long time, and we have done everything, and tried everything to make her eyes better.

One day my husband came back from the chemist with the Optrex Actimist Spray (£12).  I laughed at him, and told him he had wasted a lot of money.  The spray goes onto the closed eye, and I wondered how on earth it could penetrate a dogs furry eyelids.

I should not have laughed.  Freya is still on her Optimune, but with Actimist as well she now has less gunk and redness.  It is almost like it coats the eye, and the eyelashes don't get stuck on so badly.  I used to be washing her eyes out twice or three times daily.

Even our vet has commented on the difference.  Have to admit that I have not confessed to using it.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx