Author Topic: Cocker (1) still not house trained  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Elisha9

Cocker (1) still not house trained
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
I can not fault my girl. She’s amazing, doesn’t need a lead, cuddle bug, out with me constantly.
BUT still not house trained properly! I have NEVER had this problem with any dog I’ve owned. My Collie was trained at 6 months. Poppy is now 1 and still doing her business in the house! She’s shut in kitchen with Paisley at night and I get up to mess. If I’m out for too long. Mess. If I’m upstairs doing something and lock her in sometimes I come down to it! I’m struggling to find a way to get her to stop! She doesn’t ask to go out! Neither dogs do, but Paisley will hold all day if she has too! Not Poppy. She did well for a while. No accidents at all. Then all of a sudden she started again. It’s been a year of this nearly and with a 4 year old it’s a nightmare as I have to keep her out of the kitchen constantly while I’m sorting the dog out! Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elisha9

Re: Cocker (1) still not house trained
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »
Should probably add it’s when No one is with her. She comes out with me and over family’s house and she does nothing. She’s perfect!
It’s when she’s shut in the kitchen day or night. If door is left open she’ll go outside but I can’t leave it open 24/7. [emoji2360]

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Difficult to give any definitive answer without knowing the dog. Our suggestion that it only happens when she is left may either be the key or a red-herring. Perhaps worth a chat with the vet to make sure there is no physical issue and/or some sessions with a good behaviorist who can work with you and Poppy

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
Had real issues with Rosie when we tried to get Her to sleep in the kitchen ( originally tried a cage..that lasted 2 nights) one evening she dragged Her bed into the lounge over to the door where She could look up stairs ( had a cat at that time so we had a stairgate so the cat could sleep upstairs away from the dog), we didnt have the heart to move the bed back so left Her where She was...never had a puddle or mess from that moment....cat no longer with us so Rosie now sleeps upstairs with us.A dog trainer explained it as this..dogs are pack animals and we are part of the pack, some dogs are happy knowing the pack is near, some have to be part of the pack....When Rosie knew exactly where the rest of the pack where She was fine, being shut in the kitchen away from Her pack was obviously quite stressful for Her.......

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
Ambler54 - that makes a lot of sense.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
I got my dog at seven months old. He wasn't house trained because he was kept outside before I got him. I used toCrate him whenever I was out and when I was in bed. He wouldn't do his business in his crate. This took a number of weeks but it did the trick.

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Well thank you all. It does seem like she does it when locked away. Tried having Poppy (Cocker) and Paisley (Collie) out sleeping in hallway/my bedroom and nothing. She doesn’t do anything if not locked in at night or during day etc. So I now have 2 shadows all day [emoji23]
Thank you all again as was worried it was some undiagnosed problem!

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
Even went and got them both a duvet bit as you can see she snuck on my bed haha x

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 09:12:47 AM »
No consolation I know but my Amber as just turned 0ne, I have had 6 previous girls and have an older girl nw who is 9, NEVER had a problem house training any of them, but AMBER, she is the biggest problem of them all, she is loving and adorable, but doesnt travel well, has skin scratching, is very fussy over meals to screaming point and YES can poop for England, she took a while to grasps it, despite us being home all day AND another dog to learn from, just when we thought we had it susses, she suddenly decded to start pooping in the house, anywhere, usually at night but we have had the odd one thro the day ...we live in a Bungalow and she has always had free roam thro't, and I do wonder if this is the problem that she sees the whole floor just like the garden and uses it thus, we tried caging early days and that was a none starter, she has been in season so we put a lot down to that, and she isnt keen on wet/cold weather, which doesnt help...but.......????