Author Topic: How can I help my cocker spaniel with separation anxiety?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Ellie2205

How can I help my cocker spaniel with separation anxiety?
« on: January 09, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »

2 days ago with so much sadness I had to say goodbye to my 10 year old beautiful Cocker spaniel. I am absolutely heartbroken.

I now have an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel who has never been on her own and is struggling. I had to leave her for an hour and I was able to watch her from a camera I have setup. She could not settle, was pacing round,  jumping from one chair to another and howling.

They’ve always been used to the TV or radio being left on but this is not helping.

Has anyone please got any advice on what I can do to help her?

Thanks

Offline Gerryjane

Re: How can I help my cocker spaniel with separation anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »
I’m so sorry for your loss 😥
I doubt there is an easy answer other than not leaving your other dog until she is able to cope which will take time. I understand how hard this might be but every time she is distressed that distress is reinforced and grows. Time and support must be the answer. Xx

Offline Gazrob

Re: How can I help my cocker spaniel with separation anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
I suggest getting a crate and putting her in it everytime you go out. Go out often just for short periods at first and don't make a fuss of her when you leave or when you come back. She might be unhappy about this for a few days but eventually she will get used to it. My dog hated when I went out but I did put him in a crate at first for a good few months but now I leave him in the kitchen now when I go out he still has his crate but I don't shut the door he sees it as his bed he sleeps in it every night in the kitchen at first he didn't like the crate but now he sees it as his safe place.