Author Topic: More Cockers At Many Tears  (Read 9918 times)

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
More Cockers At Many Tears
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »
Anyone looking for a cocker to love & cherish? Just take a look at these poor little darlings Many Tears

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
Blimey gorgeous or what  :wub:

I wonder what would be involved with having a dog of "both genders" :huh:   Would they have any specific problems?
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »
I wonder what would be involved with having a dog of "both genders" :huh:   Would they have any specific problems?
[snapback]180355[/snapback]

I've never come across this before, but I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem as long as you don't plan to breed from them.  They would be neutered before being rehomed anyway.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »
They are absolutely beautiful :wub: I'm sure they won't be waiting too long

I am very glad that I am so far away ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:40:40 PM »
The specific name for then I think would be haermaphrodites (sp?). I rememeber one appearing on animal hospital, I think they just get neutered, one has my name  :D .
Cayley.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:43:13 PM »
Awww they brought tears to my eyes. bless them  :( ...never heard of 'both genders' before...they are sooo pretty ..I want them all  :(

...hopefully they will have lovely homes soon  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
Just phoned. All but one have been rehomed already (pending checks)!!!!

That's great.

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 03:59:59 PM »
:( i carn't see the pickies i'll try again later! both genders is a new one to me too :blink: i suppose once they've had there OP's they'll be fine though :) pore little lambs its good they are going to be homed quickly so they are not suffering to long i wish them all the bestist home's EVER!
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
:) i can see you ,wow they are so cute but sadley to faraway for me!but i want one :(
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 05:05:05 PM »
I've never come across this before, but I wouldn't have thought there would be any problem as long as you don't plan to breed from them.  They would be neutered before being rehomed anyway.
[snapback]180358[/snapback]

They are sweet, but probably will have some complications; even neutering is unlikely to  be a straight forward operation and will require an experienced vet and careful post-op nursing  :(  Hopefully, MT have been in touch with the British Veterinary Association who will be able to give them the names of vets who have treated similar cases - these puppies would make a good veterinary case study to assist in the understanding of these conditions  :)  

Hermaphrodite dogs are genetic/developmental mutations - they can have a number of different combination of gentialia and sex chromosomes. It worries me that a bitch has produced three pups all with the same condition; I think the families who take these pups need to be aware that vet care could be very expensive (and uninsurable) and that their lives may be relatively short as there may well be related problems caused by the genetic mutation  :(  :(

Am Cockers have a genetically inherited recessive hermaphodite conition - I wonder if these pups have Am Cocker in their pedigree????
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
They are sweet, but probably will have some complications; even neutering is unlikely to  be a straight forward operation and will require an experienced vet and careful post-op nursing  :(  Hopefully, MT have been in touch with the British Veterinary Association who will be able to give them the names of vets who have treated similar cases - these puppies would make a good veterinary case study to assist in the understanding of these conditions  :) 

Hermaphrodite dogs are genetic/developmental mutations - they can have a number of different combination of gentialia and sex chromosomes. It worries me that a bitch has produced three pups all with the same condition; I think the families who take these pups need to be aware that vet care could be very expensive (and uninsurable) and that their lives may be relatively short as there may well be related problems caused by the genetic mutation  :(  :(

Am Cockers have a genetically inherited recessive hermaphodite conition - I wonder if these pups have Am Cocker in their pedigree????
[snapback]180401[/snapback]

I didn't know that, just shows, you learn something every day.  Poor little babies  :(

Funny you should say that about American cockers, if you look at the last puppy, I thought she looked like an American cocker from the shape of her head.  Maybe the puppy farmer was experimenting. Serves him right that it didn't work out, but the real victims are these poor puppies.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 06:19:11 PM »
There have been occasional hermaphrodites cropping up in Cocker lines for as long as I've been involved in the breed (over 20 years) so I doubt these puppies have any American Cocker breeding.  It's mainly in particolour lines (the pups at Many Tears are partis) and surgery is not always needed - sometimes an owner may not even be aware they have a hermaphrodite until their bitch fails to have a season or is impossible to mate. Some do require surgery but it is not always complicated - it would depend as there seem to be varying "degrees" of this condition. Either way, once neutered, hermaphrodite Cockers go on to live perfectly normal lives as pets so it is not generally something that affects long term health in any way and certainly does not seem to cut short their lives. The initial surgery (if required) may well be more expensive than a standard spaying op but long term, I don't think potential owners of these pups should be worried - the prognosis is certainly not as bleak as Rachel suggests ;)

Hermaphroditism is probably the wrong word to use for these dogs - I think the preferred term these days is XX Sex-Reversal. As far as I know there has been no research into the condition in Cockers (as opposed to American Cockers) but there's likely to be a recessive gene involved (if not more than one gene).

Jane
Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »
Thanks Jane - I certainly didn't mean to be a pariah of doom and gloom; my research into this condition was a few years ago - I will read up the more recent studies  ;) Its great if the prognosis for this type of mutation is no longer a bleak as it once was - the benefits of veterinary advancement; and perhaps fewer of these pups are destroyed at birth than years ago?

If more are surviving, I suppose many small animal vets have encountered this condition now; which differs greatly from when I was more hands on  :)

Jane, have you known of a number of pups in the same litter being effected before?d,  Its not something I have come across....suggesting that it was an inherited trait rather than a spontaneous mutation (the predisposition to which could be recessively inherited)  :unsure:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »
They are sweet, but probably will have some complications; even neutering is unlikely to  be a straight forward operation and will require an experienced vet and careful post-op nursing  :(  Hopefully, MT have been in touch with the British Veterinary Association who will be able to give them the names of vets who have treated similar cases - these puppies would make a good veterinary case study to assist in the understanding of these conditions  :) 

Hermaphrodite dogs are genetic/developmental mutations - they can have a number of different combination of gentialia and sex chromosomes. It worries me that a bitch has produced three pups all with the same condition; I think the families who take these pups need to be aware that vet care could be very expensive (and uninsurable) and that their lives may be relatively short as there may well be related problems caused by the genetic mutation  :(  :(

[snapback]180401[/snapback]

I didn't know that, just shows, you learn something every day.  Poor little babies  :(

Funny you should say that about American cockers, if you look at the last puppy, I thought she looked like an American cocker from the shape of her head.
[snapback]180409[/snapback]

I think the patches are giving an illusion of a shorter face, imagine no markings there and you'll see she has the same shape head as the one above. Markings can do all sorts, make legs look long, bodies look short, head look a different way e.t.c.  :) .

Forgot to put smilie.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »
Jane, have you known of a number of pups in the same litter being effected before?d,  Its not something I have come across....suggesting that it was an inherited trait rather than a spontaneous mutation (the predisposition to which could be recessively inherited)  :unsure:
[snapback]180423[/snapback]
No, it's generally just one puppy in a litter but puppy farmers are more likely to inbreed closely so it wouldn't be surprising if more affected puppies crop up in closely related dogs - I shouldn't think puppy farmers care whether they mate a dog to his daughter or his sister for that matter :angry: I'm pretty sure it's inherited in Cockers but naturally research is being concentrated on conditions which cause death or disability as there is only so much money available in the pot.

I currently groom a young light blue bitch who is a hermaphrodite but at the moment her owner's vet doesn't think surgery is necessary (the extra "bit" is only tiny and can only be seen on careful examination and isn't causing this bitch any problems). I think the owner will have her spayed eventually but isn't in any hurry to do it.

Jane
Jane