Author Topic: Older Or Younger? Boy Or Girl?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline anniej

• Site Member
Older Or Younger? Boy Or Girl?
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:07:21 PM »
Hubby and I have been talking about getting another cocker for some time now, one that will be happy staying home with me as a pet rather than being trained as a working cocker, like Piper is.  So far we have been interested in a couple of drescue cockers but keep coming back to the age differences ~ should we be looking at a puppy so that Piper will not feel threatened?  He has been with us for over a year now as the only dog in the home and it is obviously his territory, although he is quite happy to have visitors come to stay with their owners.

What experiences have others had when giving a home to a rescue cocker ~ If we get an older bitch is Piper going to feel he's no longer top dog .. ..   The last thing we want is to end up with a power struggle going on in the house!

annie & mark & piper

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:31:02 PM »
I had Hooch my border collie as an only dog for 6 or 7 years before we introduced Ronald our rescue dog.  They had their intial stand offs but then got on very well, they seemed to be equals, we never had a power struggle.  Hooch was neutered about a year before we got Ronald and Ronald was neutered at the rescue centre.  Ronald was 11 when we got him so quite an oldie :) .

Unfortunately we lost Hooch suddenly last year (it was very sad as Ronald kept looking for him), Ronald is still with us and is now sharing his life with 2 adolescent cockers, he's 14 now and does have special OAP treatment that the cockers don't get.

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 10:05:46 PM »
I think Piper would be fine with an older bitch... because he's out working he would be burning off any pent up tensions and I wouldn't of thought he would feel threatened.... obviosly you would have to consider the temperament of the rescue and past history.......over the years we have always taking in a rescue of some sort and after the initial introduction things have always worked out....after the introduction you just do things as normal and they tend to get on with things.

But this is our experiences I'm sure more knowledgable COL members will give better  and valuable advice :)
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »
we havegot paddy a 7 month workerxshow and millie a 10ish show.millie came to us a couple of months ago.she hasn't had a good life it is thought she was a puppy farm breeder.paddys personality is def working cocker.they are the bestest friends :) the difference in millie in just a few weeks is amazing you  wouldn't think she was the same dog and it's all down to paddy.they go everywhere together and do everything together.it's great :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
we havegot paddy a 7 month workerxshow and millie a 10ish show.millie came to us a couple of months ago.she hasn't had a good life it is thought she was a puppy farm breeder.paddys personality is def working cocker.they are the bestest friends :) the difference in millie in just a few weeks is amazing you  wouldn't think she was the same dog and it's all down to paddy.they go everywhere together and do everything together.it's great :D
[snapback]181906[/snapback]

lyn...
i'm itching to see how millie is getting on so can we can we have some updated millie photo's  :D  please please please??

annie, i think piper would cope with either sex  (he seems very secure) and it would be more likely an older dog would come up for rescue anyway - freya (crazyspaniels) will be able to give you some solid advice!   :)
helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »
hi choccydrop,my daughter took both my cameras to budapest a few weeks ago(without telling me)then left them at her boyfriends :angry: they came back last night and my best one is charging so will post some pics later tonight.