Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11703 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:58:08 PM »
Well, after much indecision, we have arranged for Salty to come for a trial visit tomorrow. She is a 3yr old, black bitch currently in rescue because her elderly owners could no longer look after her due to health problems.

She is in Wales, but her carer is travelling past our house tomorrow, so we thought it would be a good opportunity for her to drop her off here in the morning, and collect her on the way back in the evening. She would also be able to home check us at the same time (if we fail, then I guess she will take her to London for the day! :laugh:

Still have many reservations but feel generally more positive about it all now. It's the responsibility of it all that worries me, guess you suspected that from my previous cry for help!

The great thing is that they are willing for us to take her on a 2 week trial basis rather than a full comitment at this stage. I would still feel awful about sending the poor girl back, but I am assured that it will be better for her to get all her disappointments out of the way in a short space of time, rather than us plodding on with an unworkable situation, then admitting defeat six months down the line.

So....do think of us tomorrow. Steve and I are both around tomorrow so we won't need to leave them alone together at all while I do the school runs. And I plan to take them both out for a lovely long walk before lunchtime. It will be a bit later than usual for Buddy, but I don't think I'll have time to do him before they arrive. I will obviously have to keep Salty on lead. Do you think it is better to keep Buddy on or off lead in that case? He can get a bit "barky" on lead, but I don't want to upset her by allowing him to run free while she can't. I don't have a long line so can't even use that.

I'm excited and scared all at once. Guess I'll know much better by tomorrow evening. Could be fun with her bed guarding, food guarding and now lead guarding too! Mmmm! :laugh:

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »
Wow! How exciting! Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed (and Henry's paws!!) that everything goes well!
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
The very best of luck to you all Annette  :blink:  I'm looking forward to hearing how you all got on tomorrow night  :P ^_^
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »

Good luck Annette and Steve - fingers crossed it all works out for you.  :blink:

Personally I'd let Buddy off-lead as usual, you can always stick the lead back on him if things are proving problematic.

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
WoW!!!!!  The very best of luck for tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and I can't wait to hear how it goes! I hope it is a cocker match made in heaven!!!
 :luv:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:25:27 PM »
Good luck, hope it works out and that they both get along ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »
I always meet up with fosters on neutral territory and usually these days it tends to be in my backyard. I tend to get the other dog into the yard on a lead on their own then just let my two out into yard. What happens with my two is that they prefer to go see the person holding the lead so they can then let said dog offlead and their dog usually goes for a wander while my two snog the person who brought the dog (ask ajs,  AnnieG, and MaryP). I found meetings in the house 1st off were a disaster as they would clash in the hallway and get off to a bad start (my two are a bit gobby if you come into the house which can upset some dogs). Once dogs seem Ok I then let them all go in the house at their own pace and sniff around.

In the early days I used to do meetups on the park (which is at the bottom of the street anyway) but often we were pushed for time so the yard seems to do the trick.

Harsh as this may seem but will say it anyway don't overfuss new dog or try to compensate with your dog by giving him extra cuddles.

Also be aware that dogs going into a new house go through a honeymoon period which is why I start off with NILIF straightaway just so they all know where they stand (it can pre-empt any potential problems).

I'd also let buddy off the lead as well, I always do with my two when a new foster comes.

Relax. Nothing in life is perfect!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm not tooooooo worried, really :-\

Penny, I think you know who I'm talking about when I say that the carer is in a bit of a hurry tomorrow, so do you think I should suggest we go round to the field at the off street side of our house for the first meeting? It's just outside our front fence (the house is back to front - all very confusing!)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 07:36:46 PM »
Have only just seen this, FAB news, I hope things so well xxxxx

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 09:58:35 PM »
Hope it goes well. Keep us posted!!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »
Aww Annette ...I reeeally hope things go well for you tommorrow  ;) ...you are going to make great second cocker parents  ^_^...fingers crossed here for you  :-*
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 07:41:14 AM »
Hope it all goes well :laugh:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 07:55:21 AM »
All the best of luck today
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 08:20:23 AM »
Wishing you all th very best. Bet you're really excited right now. I'd be  bag of nerves!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Penel

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 10:20:16 AM »
oooh how exciting - good luck, let us know how it goes ASAP !!!!