Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 10:28:30 AM »
She's not here yet! I'm pacing, and so is Buddy who is longing for his walk. She could arrive any time so I can't get him out now. Guess I could do a bit of training with him.....or just look through COL to my heart's content!

Offline The Sirrahs

• Site Member
    • Sirrah Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »
 good luck for today
Ever wagging tails from:
Leia, Sally, Tim, Danny, Rolly, Storm and Maddie (and if they had one, Maria and Roger)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
Good luck from me too  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
oooh good luck!
helen & jarvis x

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »
Good luck annette, i hope it all goes well for you. ^_^
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
Good luck - let us know how you all got on :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 03:01:13 PM »
Well, she's here and she's a lovely little dog. Very friendly amd sweet.

But Buddy is a bit too much for her so far. I took them for a walk and they ignored each other but she does trot up to other dogs and people happily.

Now we are back, she has been fed (that was quite an experience!!!) and Buddy went full-on again so that she was yelping in fear (just play barking and other young cocker stuff, but too much for the quiet lady). I tried to sit on the sofa but Buddy got jealous of Salty coming up too. Hard to do NILIF as she has little idea really.

Now they are pacing around. Both tired enough to sleep but neither happy tp settle. I'm just off to school run so will leave Steve in charge.

We have her til 8ish I think. Will let you know how the rest of the day goes!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
Well, she's here and she's a lovely little dog. Very friendly amd sweet.

But Buddy is a bit too much for her so far. I took them for a walk and they ignored each other but she does trot up to other dogs and people happily.

Now we are back, she has been fed (that was quite and experience!!!) and Buddy went full-on again so that she was yelping in fear (just play barking and other young cocker stuff, but too much for the quiet lady). I tried to sit on the sofa but Buddy got jealous of Salty coming up too. Hard to do NILIF as she has little idea really.

Now they are pacing around. Both tired enough to sleep but neither happy tp settle. I'm just off to school run so will leave Steve in charge.

We have her til 8ish I think. Will let you know how the rest of the day goes!

So far so good. Its early days yet and I get dogs who won't settle like this the 1st day so don't worry.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 04:03:36 PM »
It's bound to be odd at first - for them both let alone you. Try to relax and enjoy it.

Well done!!
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 04:11:20 PM »
Well, we are back from the school run, and Steve says he had to come downstairs as it sounded like world war 3 starting up. He had just managed to get them both to sleep either side of him on the sofa when we came in so they are up and pacing again.

We tried to make a bit of a fuss of both of them, and it went well for a few minutes, but Salty started to get very agitated. Panting, breathing heavily etc. I wonder whether making any kind of fuss of them is a bit like trying to comfort a dog during fireworks, in that it just makes them think they have something to worry about. So now we are all trying to go about our business as usual. Buddy is asleep on the sofa, Salty is sitting at my feet, but not yet asleep.

Good news is that she seems to like Ben so far, but of course any time she goes to meet him, the Bud gets jealous.

Perhaps we are discovering that Bud wants to stay an only dog? Or perhaps if she would play he'd be ok? Apparently she has been playing with two dogs at the rescue, but has been terrified by 5 terriers! I guess Bud is behaving more like a terrier than she would like.

I have tried to lure her into a sit, but she is a bit stubborn and once she realised the treat was conditional she just walked away!!! Not that she needs any treats really, she looks like a coffee table at the moment, poor love.

I'll keep you informed of any progress! Not much else getting done today.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »
To be honest when I have fosters in I leave them to it (I'm in the room though) and don't interact with them too much myself. When Cassie arrived she was shellshocked after two days in the pound and so I just showed her where the crate was and just left her to it. As I said earlier don't fuss them too much (either of them) they don't quite see it the way we humans do and just need the basics. They will move at their own pace.

You can't make an assumption either that Buddy wants to be an only dog on the basis of a couple of hours. Wilf is quite grumpy with the pups that come here for a week or so then he settles down and they slowly become buddies or at least he stops being a grumpy old git.

It can a month at least for a new dog to settle in!
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 05:00:18 PM »
If (let's just pretend for a while, shall we) she was to stay overnight. What should we do with them.

At the moment Bud sleeps in his crate with the door open, just outside our bedroom door (that is real progress believe me!) and has the freedom to roam around the house but not into our room.

We do have a spare crate in the garage, but not really any room for it to be honest. But I'm sure we can improvise.

Hmmmm. Well, have just spoken to Salty's carer, she (Salty) is staying here for a week! She's driving back to London next week so can collect her if things don't get any better!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »
I think that's a great idea Anette - give you all time to really see if it's likely to work or not. Finger's crossed it does.

As for sleeping tonight - what are her normal sleeping arrangements - you might be better to stick to those if poss.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »
A crate for Salty may make her feel more settled, even though she may choose where she sleeps ultimately.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »
Glad to hear the day has been disaster free ;) Jackson was terrified of Disney for the first few days as he (Disney) is quite boisterous in his play. After a couple of days though, that was that - they were both playing together quite happily like old friends B)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)