Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11702 times)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 06:00:06 PM »
Extending her stay to a week will give you a much better indication as to if their relationship will work and also how you feel about a new addition.  I do hope she settles in well ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 07:11:34 PM »
Aww Annette, keeping everything crossed she settles in and everyone is happy  :blink:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 10:00:57 PM »
how's salty now?
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 10:06:24 PM »
Annette, so sorry I missed this, just wanted to send you my best wishes to, I really hope things work out with Salty, keeping everything crossed for you xx :luv:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:47 PM »
2 dogs pacing again, but they have slept a bit on/off the sofa. Buddy is very jealous at the moment.

We have brought in the spare crate and set it up downstairs. Buddy who hates it is guarding it like it's his favourite place, and Salty has yet to venture inside it. Salty is turning into a bit of a shadow too, so don't know how they (or us) are going to sleep overnight. Don't think Bud will let her share his crate upstairs!!

I am out all day tomorrow, but Steve will be here with them. He may have to bring his puter downstairs to work. Just so he can referee.

Salty just picked up the plastic bowl we have been using to feed her today, and Buddy tried to get it, so she had a bit of a low level go at him. I've taken it away now.

Think we have an exciting few days ahead of us.

Oh, they are both on the sofa now. So sweet. Well it would be if either of them was willing to acknowledge the other.

Still, as someone said, at least we have had no disasters yet. They may well learn to be friends.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 12:02:47 AM »
Sounds like things are going Ok so far. Buddy is used to being the only dog but I am sure he will grow to like her. At the end of the day he would probably be the same wether it was a puppy or an older dog  ;)
I wouldn't pander to him and just ignore his jealous behaviour. The fact that she's a bitch and older than him tells me she'll have him wrapped around her paw in no time  >:D

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
How did it go last night??
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »
The settling down routine was a bit different, but they settled. Buddy upstairs as usual, Salty on sofa.

We heard two brief spats but they sorted themselves out.

I tried feeding them both in the kitchen this morning, one one end, one the other (it is only small though). Buddy does a good sit and leave so I got him in position, Tried the same with Salty, holding her collar, and put hers down first, then Buddy's. Went ok for a second or two, but Buddy literally inhaled his in his rush to get to hers. She on the other hand is a s,ow, messy eater so he was desperately trying to get to hers. We lost any control over him at that point so dragged him into the lounge and shut the doors. But we knew the doors don't close well so he just barged through. Think we will need to keep them very seperate as it seems they are both food guarding at the moment. I threw away what she didn't eat immediately because Buddy would have just got it.

They then behaved very badly, BOTH very possessive of us!

However I just took them out on the field where they ignored each other for a while until another dog came up to us. He doesn't usually play at all, but Salty started trying to get him to play :o

When Simba lost interest, she allowed Buddy to play and I locked the extending lead and let them at it. It was great, they had such fun. We must try to improvise a long line for the rest of the week.

Then Bud went into the river for a drink and Salty followed him! BUT she is too fat to climb out, so I tugged on the lead to give her a hand and the collar slipped off, so I had to climb down the muddy bank, kneel in the mud and haul her out!!!!

Still, I managed to get the collar back on her and we are all fine now, but back in the house they are ignoring each other again. Early days.

Must say, at first I was thinking that she definitely wasn't going to be staying, but now I'm back to having a more open mind about it. I know it's early days but first thing was so much NOT fun, I didn't want to have to be coping with that for ever. Guess I'm also a bit stressed by the busy day ahead of me (all planned before we knew Salty was coming, obviously)

Thanks for thinking of us, keep the advice and encouragement coming please.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 10:41:47 AM »
Sounds like all is going well to me!  :laugh:

For the food thing, I would put Buddys lead on and save a little of his food back and stand on the lead so he can't get to Salty's food and train him to remain seated or at least stay away from her bowl. When he does this feed him from the bit you have saved!

Eventually you should be able to feed Salty and ask Buddy to wait then give him his a bit later so they finish together.

Jessie is a Dyson when food is around but we have trained her to come away from Saffi's bowl when she (Jessie) has finished (they are fed in the same room), Jessie eats so fast and Saffi doesn't,  so to make sure Jessie doesn't have 2 dinners and Saffi gets 1  ::) we had to go thru this process.

Now Jessie finishes her dinner and comes into the kitchen or living room (wherever people are) to see what else she can get....cos it is always better than more food lol.

I am sure things will settle down soon....Salty will soon have Buddy feeding her grapes and wafting her with a big leaf  ;)

Cheers

Jane

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Must say, at first I was thinking that she definitely wasn't going to be staying, but now I'm back to having a more open mind about it. I know it's early days but first thing was so much NOT fun, I didn't want to have to be coping with that for ever. Guess I'm also a bit stressed by the busy day ahead of me (all planned before we knew Salty was coming, obviously)

Good to hear that it seems to be going well; its interesting to hear your experiences, as they will help me make future decisions  ;)
As I understand it, most co-habiting dogs, no matter how well they get on, tend to have the odd spat; so although I am sure it will settle down between them, I think it would be rare if you get to a stage when they never to fall out  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 02:40:55 PM »
Annette - it does sound like things are going in a positive direction. Do keep us posted on how thigns develop over the coming days ;) :blink:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 06:15:52 PM »
This evening's walk was a disaster. We have improvised a long line for Salty which she enjoyed, but she kept having a really nasty go at Buddy who yelped a few times. All incidents seem to have been provoked by Salty.

She loves other people and other dogs, but is getting very possessive of us, and both Buddy and Salty are very jealous at the moment. Buddy is kind of sulking and choosing to be anywhere she isn't. It's hard to watch and I am just hoping it will get better.

We are going to try the feeding advice tonight. Will let you know!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 06:32:32 PM »
hi annette, just catching up on all your news, sounds like you are having fun!!!!! aaaaah still have my fingers crossed that everything with Salty and the lovely Buddy goes well, its early days, sounds like you are just having to iron out a few creases!!!

Best of luck for success with the Buddy/Salty bonding xxxx

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 10:32:29 PM »
 :o OMG - how have I managed to miss this??????   Well done you for giving Salty a try, I really really hope it will all work out!!

Good luck, and piccies soon please.... (when you manage to get them both calm and content.... :P)

Petra

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2006, 09:01:36 PM »
How has today been. Sorry, just caught up, but am very interested to see how things are going.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal