Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11721 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2006, 09:15:01 PM »
Our two still fight quite a lot - pin each other to the ground by the ears, etc. Indie can also get very jealous, but if we try and separate them, they miss each other! :luv:

Best of luck with Salty.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2006, 09:31:12 PM »
just catching up Annette...how are things today...sooo hope it works out for you all ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
Salty is a really lovely little lady.  :luv: She has some rather bad habits such as begging from the table and counter surfing, but I'm sure they could be sorted out in time. She also food guards, bed guards and barks at every noise outside the garden, but we're kind of used to that with Buddy (the barking that is, not the guarding). Her bark is a real high pitched squeal too. It's so funny when she and Buddy kick off together because he has a particularly deep bark for a cocker. The bin men said it sounded like we had a "lot of dogs in there" yesterday. Feels like that too, sometimes.

We still have some significant doubts. Firstly, that she and Buddy will ever form a good relationship. I fear that at best they will learn to tolerate one another, and that isn't really what we were looking for. Secondly, we fear that we may not be a 2 dog family after all. Thirdly, I do think she might be a lot happier as an only dog. She loves a fuss and lots of attention from humans.

Tonight, things have taken a slightly sinister turn. We were told that she had growled at a 2 year old grandchild. But were thrilled that she has been absolutely fine with our 8 year old Ben. Tonight though, when he went to kiss Steve goodnight, she went ballistic. So much so that we had to hold her collar when he kissed me. After he went to bed OH and I tried a kiss with the same reaction. I don't know how to deal with that, but it is worrying that she is becoming so possessive of us after such a short time.

I really hope we aren't screwing her up even more by keeping her here for the week when there's a real possibility that it won't work out. I spoke to the lady from the rescue today, and she knows how we are feeling, but I have yet to let her know about this human guarding if that's what it's called.

We go from one decision made to the other several times a day. I must say that I feel quite tearful when I think of sending her back, but we have to think what's best for all of us, and it would be best if she found her super forever home sooner rather than  later, so if we have serious doubts that we can make it work, we should make sure she gets that as soon as possible.

:'(

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2006, 10:01:59 PM »
Aww Annette .. I cant offer any advice as have no experience but want to send you lots of supportive (((HUGS)))...think you can only go with your gut instinct  ;)  Please dont feel bad if you have to let her go back...you have done your best  ;) ...hope things improve for you all xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2006, 10:38:16 PM »
Hi Annette!

I've been offline for a few days and have just caught up with your thread.  I don't have any advice to offer other than what has already been given, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you all and hope it goes well (one way or the other).  It sounds like she and Buddy have a bit of adjusting to do.  I'm sure they'd get there in the end though (Molly absolutely HATED Brodie initially!).  You certainly have a lot to think about though, you have to feel certain that she won't put Ben at risk (but then perhaps a few days hasn't been long enough for her to want kisses??)

With regards to Salty and Buddy fighting, as long as it's supervised I'd let them get on with it :blink:.  Sounds like they have to get the pecking order sorted out.  My 2 have never fought but when they playfight it sounds so savage that you'd think they were killing each other.  Eventually you get to recognise real aggression from warnings/play.

Hope to hear how things are progressing.  Best of luck.  Speak soon. x
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
Tracey - she wants kisses, she's all over us. Keeping them off us is a bit of an issue.

No, the guarding was when Ben tried to kiss his dad goodnight! Then when Steve and I kissed. (Anyone want contaceptive advice? :laugh:)

We are just leaving them to the fighting, just watching to make sure it doesn't go too far. It's been very short spats only so far, but getting more slinking and growling stuff now. Don't know whether that's moving in the right direction or not. It's all centred on us and our attention though (Oh, and food of course!!).

jools

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2006, 11:30:31 PM »
Annette, Salty's behaviour is really worrying - especially in such a short time. I could be wrong, and I'm sure a more experienced resuce person will correct me, but I'm pretty sure that the guarding you've described usually comes when they get comfortable with what's their's - which is why many aggressive dogs don't usually display this type of behaviour the whole time they're in rescues. Having said that, and having a dog with fear aggression / resource gurading myself, her behaviour may be amplified because she's not yet settled in.

It's really difficult when you get a second dog. When we got Bramble, we got her to keep Millie company. In our minds, they would cuddle up together in their basket and stuff. The thing is, dogs have a very different view! Millie tolerates Bramble (and Bramble loves Millie). They will never have the relationship we'd hoped they would - but that's our fault, not theirs - our expectations were not theirs.

I wish you luck but urge you to act on your gut instinct. This sounds like a potentially dangerous dog to me and nobody would blame you if you can't offer her a perminant home.

Good Luck!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »
Tracey - she wants kisses, she's all over us. Keeping them off us is a bit of an issue.

Cassie was very much like this but I would often ignore her or just let her have 5 min then no more, and then cuddles her myself for 5 min later on so she still got cuddles. As time went on though she stopped being quite so insistent (she was only here a couple of weeks or so).

It still really is early days and it can take months for a dog to settle properly. It can take time to build up a new relationship even when you get a new pup.

Its not unusual for rescues to be clingy whatever their background, dogs who come from multi-households can be like this as can dogs from only households. Even those from loving homes find it difficult as they have to immediately fit in with a new possibly very different regime, which is why it takes time for owners and dog alike to settle into an acceptable routine.

I always take the approach that any new dog will be clingy so I deal with that accordingly, if they're not then its a bounus in that direction.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2006, 12:36:10 AM »
Some dogs come with baggage and we're not always the ones who are ready to deal with this for a variety of reasons (e.g. our circumstances, experience, confidence, etc. aren't right at that time). It doesn't make us bad owners or neither does it make the dog in question bad either.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
Then when Steve and I kissed. (Anyone want contaceptive advice? :laugh:)

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

We don't have that problem, I sit on the sofa with the dogs and Ian sits in a different room! ^_^ ^_^

Seriously though, it seems like she's been with you a very short time for her to be acting this way.   Poor wee thing sounds really insecure. :-\
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

jools

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
Some dogs come with baggage and we're not always the ones who are ready to deal with this for a variety of reasons (e.g. our circumstances, experience, confidence, etc. aren't right at that time). It doesn't make us bad owners or neither does it make the dog in question bad either.

Very well put Penny.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 11:17:01 AM »
I'm sorry that I have given the impression that Salty is aggressive. I fullt understand that she is insecure, in the space of 2 weeks she has left her lovely home, gone into a housefull of 15 dogs, 5 of which were terriers and gave her a hard time, then been brought to us.

We took on board the advice about not fussing either of them, but in practice it was very difficult. We tend to all sit on the sofa when we want to watch tv for instance, and Buddy is allowed up for cuddles which we all love. When Salty arrived we allowed them both up and were careful to have a hand on each dog or neither dog, if you see what I mean. But I think that was still wrong. However trying to get them both off the sofa was a full-time job and destroyed any quality of life for all of us.

So today, humans are banned from the sofa and we have improvised various chairs from around the house for us. They are now welcome to the sofa together, and are totally banned from the chairs (which has always been the case). For the few minutes we have had to sit in the lounge this morning, it worked pretty well.

The two dogs have been playing in the house this morning, which is great. But you should hear the screeching noises from her! She does this whenever she is excited, so we aren't worried about it apart from our tolerant neighbours who might be pushed to the edge over this. It's VERY loud.

Today, we have to decide whether we are in fact capable of settling to own two dogs at all. In our research we noticed that some COLers found it easy, some found it hard. And I suspect the issue has more to do with family/human dynamics than the particular dogs. We have real doubts over this for us. If this is so, then I deeply regret messing with Salty's head in this way, and if she is returned to the shelter we will not continue looking for a companion dog for Buddy.

I am so upset by all this, that my sense of guilt is threatening to affect our decision. I have to keep in mind that this is why this was arranged as a trial. Just so that we wouldn't struggle on for months, then end up re-re-homing her.

For any of you following this thread with an interest in taking on another cocker please believe me that I think she will make a perfect pet for someone. There is very little wrong with this dog, she is fantastic. A few behavioural issues, but I think they are all relatively minor. Her recall is improving (I think that goes with the clinginess, but you see there's a good thing coming out of even that), and we have been trying to teach her some basic commands. Today's feeding frenzy was much better too,

All of the negatives here have been to do with the mix of Salty and Buddy (which might resolve in future, who knows?) and this major issue of whether we should be a two dog family at all. I wish there had been some way to know that before we took her on this trial. I suppose she will be better able to handle it than an ex-breeding bitch that we were originally looking for.

We need to do some serious talking and thinking here. Thank you for all your input. And I'm really sorry. :'(

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2006, 11:34:15 AM »
Annette - you have nothing to be sorry for. You are giving this your best shot. If it doesn't work out then so be it - you tried and tried hard, and it would be better for all if Salty went to another home if it's not going to work out with you.

There are a vast number of reasons why two dogs will or won't work out some is to do with the human dynamics other is to do with the temperament of the dog/s concerned.

Just one thought - is it worth trying to get a behaviourist in to observe and see if they think you can work this out?

In the end don't let your emotions get in the way of your final decision. Easier said than done, but try to look at the true practicalities and "bigger picture" If you feel you would all be happier as a one dog, ie Buddy, family then so be it. There is nothing wrong with that decision whatsoever. If however you do feel that you could stick it out with Salty then again - go for it - nothing wrong with that decision either - but only you can decide. You see how you all are together and know how much grief etc you can take.

It's a bigger person that admits it won't work than someone who buries their head in the sand in the vain hope that things will get better.

Good luck in whatever you decide and you do know you can always come to COL for support.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Penel

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2006, 11:38:14 AM »
Hey Annette don't be silly.  It's very very hard to adjust to a new dog joining the household - I always get stressed and upset, usually cry quite a bit  :laugh: have a few rows with OH, and then everything starts to settle.... I always feel I've done the wrong thing - and then the dogs start to get on,and I realise its the right thing.
Everyone has different ways of coping, and just because she might not be the right dog for your household doesn't mean that there isn't another one that would be.  Or perhaps a puppy, with a clean slate would be better for you, there is nothing wrong with that - and don't let anyone make you feel there is.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2006, 11:42:54 AM »
No-one on here has, Penel. I feel we have had terrific support from our COL friends with more experience than us.

Maybe I have "issues". Eeek!

If Salty was the only dog here we would be raving about her. Honestly, she's lovely. I'm crying buckets!