Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11739 times)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »
Have not got nothing to add to the advice given Annette, but just wanted to let you know that you have loads of support and good wishes here whatever you decide.  A dog will only be happy if the owners are happy! Please don't be sorry.  You have nothing to be sorry about. 

Remember Bayley, well look what has happened to him!  Lynpate was in exactly your situation and everything has turned out wonderful for Bayley.

Loads and loads of <<<<hugs>>>>> to you.

xx
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »

If Salty was the only dog here we would be raving about her. Honestly, she's lovely. I'm crying buckets!

Awww Annette (((hug)))
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »
It's very very hard to adjust to a new dog joining the household

Hi Annette ,
I was just about to say the same thing. One more being in the house will of course change things for everyone a little bit, dogs and humans. As I've said elsewhere on the forum, after two weeks I was all for taking Jack back, :o but we (perhaps I) got past that moment.

You must have wanted another dog for you, and not just for Buddy? This may have altered in the reality of having two there. That's OK - as you say better you know now!

If the two dogs are playing, then that's more than Tia and Jack have ever done! ::)

Tia still barks at me if I cuddle with someone, but we think it's quite cute. Peggy is now barking if the children fuss Tia (but only in the kitchen?!? :huh:)

Good luck with the decision making! I think it sounds like the dogs are moving forward a little.  :blink:
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
Annette, I really feel for you. I was the exact same when Jackson came and he and Dallas took an immediate dislike to each other. I was in tears many a night over things and decided on quite a few occasions that Jackson would have to go back. But then I would see little things between he and Dallas that would make me think that things would be ok in the end. They were tiny baby steps but they were there and that gave me the incentive to carry on. It was easier for me in the sense that I was already a multi-dog household but I can truly sympathise with your dilemma. Even though things didn't go according to plan with Jackson, it hasn't put me off taking on another rescue (well, it did at first but I'm over that now ;)) so even though Salty may noit stay with you, it doesn't mean that you can't try again in the future. That is the whole purpose of trials - you can't really tell if two dogs can co-habit unless you try so don't feel bad. Just think of it as giving Salty a wee holiday ;)

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
Hi Annette

Sorry have only just caught up on this thread.........
It sounds like you are doing wonderful with Salty and the doubts you are having at the moment are quite normal when you take on a rescue.....we all feel we have done the wrong thing initially and maybe let our own animals down in some way....  the problems you are encountering sound normal too and usually get ironed out in time when the newcomer becomes established then it's like they have always been here......

But if you feel she is not right for your houshold them at least you tried......I am a fatalist and if it's not right for Salty now then she has to go back for a reason ,in her case because the right home will be round the corner if not yours......

Please dont feel guilty about this and whatever decision you make will be the right one for you and her........
Best of Luck
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »

Tia still barks at me if I cuddle with someone, but we think it's quite cute. Peggy is now barking if the children fuss Tia (but only in the kitchen?!? :huh:)

I should have said we ignore this, and it has lessened greatly over time, and so are doing the same with Peggy!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
Hi Annette, I've only just caught up with this again, its a fast moving thread. I echo everyone, there is nothing to be sorry for ;) I wish you every luck with whatever you decide, and whatever it is you do decide, it will be the right thing for Salty and for Buddy and for all of you ;) ;)

Sending you all lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2006, 04:51:48 PM »
Hi Annette.....I was so sorry to read about your problems with Salty but I'm sure whatever you decide it will be in both the dogs & your family's best interests.
I'm also a bit of a fatalist & believe what will be will be!
It is a difficult decision; when we have our friends Cairn Rooney to stay it always upsets the equilibrium between the dogs & although he's a dear little chap I'm usually quite relieved when he goes back home & things settle back to normal again!
Best of luck with your decision what ever it is. :-\
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »
annette - i echo everything everyone has said here - and you have nothing to feel sorry or guilty for, trials are trials and it's far better if salty went back at the end of the week (IF it doesn't work out) then re-homing her in 6 months time. whatever the decision, it will be the right thing for all of you i'm sure.

....and if the trial doesn't work out it would not be because of anything you or your family are doing - (and what you are actually doing is a fantastic job, really admire you  ;))

hugs, and support vibes! 
helen

helen & jarvis x

Offline donna37

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2006, 06:32:01 PM »
On reading this thread I'd just like to say that patience and time is required.

You have our support and I am sure everything will turn out fine.

Regards

Donna

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2006, 07:09:30 PM »
Aww Annette..sending you lots of BIG (((HUGS))) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2006, 08:29:59 PM »
Annette,

I am no expert, and really sympathise with your situation, I have considered taking a rescue myself, so am reading your postings with great interest.

It all seems to be happening so quick.  Try not to despair, you will need time to see how things work out, both dogs are craving for attention, and will go through times of jealousy.

Don't be too hasty in your decision. You are doing a wonderful thing. I hope it works out for you .
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
Not much to add really accept for what everyone else has said  ;)Remember, it was only a trial  ;) and if things don't work out you have done what is right for you and your family  ;)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2006, 09:30:23 PM »
aw Annette, i've only just seen this thread. Hope things are looking brighter tonight. Have you tried taking them for walks seperatly to see how they react when the other one isn't there ie would they look for each other or mope? If it doesn't work out for you and Salty does go back, at least yoiuknow that this thread and all the advice generated through it is being of use to people who are also thinking of taking on a rescue dog. I really do hope it works out for you all and well done for trying.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2006, 10:09:33 PM »
Och, Annette. I really feel for you (and all the family!).  Can't give any advice as I know you'll make the right decision as a family.  Don't beat yourself up about it, have faith that whatever choice you make will be the right one for you AND Salty.  Sending you lots of positive vibes and ((((hugs)))).  Let us know how it goes. x
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!