Author Topic: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.  (Read 11771 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Re: Salty coming for a visit tomorrow.
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2006, 12:14:35 AM »
Hi Annette

No words of wisdom from me.  I just wanted to let you know that I really feel for you, this was only a trial and you certainly are pulling out all the stops to make this work, you shouldn't feel guilty atall, I have nothing but admiration for you and your family :luv:  If it doesn't work out it certainly wasn't because you all didn't try its circumstance way beyond your control, whatever you decide, you did your very very best and that I am sure we all have much respect for you for.

Take care and sending you all a cuddle xxxx

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2006, 09:51:54 AM »
Ditto what everyone else has said, you really are trying your best so try not to beat yourself up, whatever decision you make ;)

Mary & Lottie x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
Thanks for all your support.

I think we now know that we shouldn't have 2 dogs. We have been so happy as a 1 dog family, but didn't fully appreciate just how easy Buddy is to live with, and how much extra would be involved in trying to have another fit in.

I this particular dog was staying, we would urgently need to get lead walking sorted (for both of them - they are both awful, and worse together!), or we would never all be able to go out together except onto the field. But we really do not have the time to do this properly. And there are lots of other issues which would need to be sorted out (with both dogs, up to a point) which again will take a great deal of time, and 1:1 with each dog. I don't think we can deal with that adequately, and things could slide out of control.

Also, they have not played nicely at all today, but lots of nasty stuff. We are not intervening as so far neither has hurt the other, but it is serious fighting rather than play. Even out on our walk they didn't play, but Salty did go for Buddy when she saw he was nearer to me than she was.

Both are quite unhappy today. Buddy's tail hasn't wagged all morning :'(.  I think that this might just be a step on his way to taking subordinate status to her, but as we now know she's not staying I am getting a bit worried that it might permanantly damage his lovely personality. Do you think it might? Part of me thinks it might also be good for him in some ways, but I don't know.

Salty did have a go at another dog this morning who was getting nearer to me. That's probably just another sign of her insecurity. I do think all of these problems could be ironed out by someone with more experience/time than us. And probably either with her as an only dog, or in an experienced 2 dog family.

We have had some fun in all this. Part of our walk takes us through a sports field, and every morning (until today) Buddy has grabbed the long line trailing from Salty's collar and led her all round the field. She has seemed quite happy with that too. It was lovely to watch, and I wish I'd got a video of it. And they have had some lovely shoulder to shoulder cocker play on the fields. The noise levels don't matter much there!

She is SO LOUD!!!! You know how they sound when you tread on their feet? That's how she sounds when you get ready for a walk, when Buddy and she play, when you go to feed her etc. And still a screech, but slightly different, whenever anyone walks past the house.

Oh, and she chases cats!!!!! And she's much stronger and more determined than Buddy. She nearly pulled me over yesterday (and those of you who have met me will appreciate just how strong that is!)

Anyway we are trying to contact the rescue now and hope to be able to arrange to drive her back to Wales this week if possible. We really want her to be advertised on DP asap, so that she can move on quickly. I would love to offer to keep her as foster carer, but I actually think that might do more harm than good at this stage.

I'm planning to try to get one out without the other later, so that they can have a break from each other. They are a bit like tormented souls at the moment.

I'm still a bit upset, and we will all miss her so much in many ways, but we will all relax too. And we'll be able to get back to being the cuddly family we are ::)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
Yesterday was Buddy's first Gotcha Anniversary, and we couldn't make a fuss of him (you don't think we spoil him a bit do you? We don't really).

We'll celebrate his first walk instead.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »
Lots of love to you Annette and family I know that wont have been an easy descision to make xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Penel

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2006, 02:07:18 PM »
Aww Annette - from what you've said it sounds like you will all be happier if Salty goes elsewhere.  Maybe in a while you will feel that you can fit another dog into your lives, and perhaps you did ought to go the puppy route again - they are time consuming but it might be better for Buddy to have a friend with no "previous" !
I hope Salty finds her forever home soon,
Happy Gotcha day to Buddy !

jools

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »
A brave decission Annette - but the right one for all of you I feel. If I'd have got Bramble first, there's no way I'd have ever been able to deal with Millie and her behaviour issues!

As I said in my previous post, I got Bramble because I thought she's be company for Mills and that they would cuddle up and play together....the thing is......Millie didn't have the same idea!

At least you know now that Buddy is going to be best as an only dog.

Well done for trying your best for Salty.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2006, 05:33:30 PM »
Sorry things didn't work out as you had hoped but at least you tried. I'm sure the right home will be out there for her somewhere :-*
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
Good luck Annette - I'm sure Buddy will get over this episode very quickly and Salty will soon find her forever home. It is the right decision - well don for making it. ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2006, 06:55:26 PM »
Brave decision, but as Pammy says the right one. At the end of the day you are supposed to enjoy dog ownership, it's no fun if they aren't getting on or you feel it isn't right for you and your family. I am sure it won't be long before she finds a new home  ;)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »
Aww this must have been a difficult decision for you Annette (((HUG)))...I'm sure Salty will soon find a lovely new home ... big well done from us for trying ;) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2006, 08:24:45 PM »
Hi Annette,

Sorry I haven't been on sooner - I have had password issues!

I think you have made a very brave decision and well done to you and your family for trying so hard. When we had Charlie for the Christmas week, it really made me realise how hard it is to deal with a dog that you haven't trained yourself.

I think Daisy would have been perfectly happy being an only dog and she still hates Woody! So, don't feel bad for Buddy, I'm sure he is perfectly happy. Oh, and he will forget all about this incident within a few short days - especially when you have his 'gotcha' party with jelly and ice cream!!!   :005:
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2006, 08:47:19 PM »
Sorry things didn't work out for all of you, but I don't think you could have done any more.  Well done for trying  ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2006, 10:05:40 PM »
Not sure how I missed the update :-\

Annette, can only echo what the others have said, sorry it didn't work out and hope Salty finds her forever home soon, you did your best hun xxx

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »
She's still here. We are trying to arrange for Steve to meet up with the rescuer at the Severn bridge tomorrow, but haven't heard back yet.

Things have been a bit tense today. Their only interaction has been some very real fighting with her hanging onto Buddy's lip or ears. Only short spats, but all day, on and off. She would definitely be top dog, but Buddy's not going down without a fight! We are pretty much open plan so not easy to keep them seperate. I was just settling down this evening to make some calls to new potential customers when they started up at full volume. Had to put that plan on hold for a bit as Steve was out!

Out on our walk this morning they totally ignored each other. We met up with a lady and a dog. Salty went over as friendly as ever, but then started getting cross with this other dog when he approached his walker. Very possessive.

Poor thing is very insecure now. Seems very tense and anxious. I do hope she finds her perfect forever home soon. Do think she needs someone experienced though. Quite a lot of training needed. She is very bright though (smarter than Buddy the Baffled!)

This morning I had planned to walk Salty up to school with me, then come back and take Buddy out for a ball chasing time on the field. Ben put a stop to that by coming down late after much nagging (he was playing with his Lego Star Wars - the current passion!) in his jeans and hoody  >:(

By the time he was in his uniform and ready to leave we didn't have time for poop scooping walks up the road!

Hope to go with plan A tomorrow, but then if she's heading back to Wales tomorrow there probably isn't the same need. Hey ho!

It will be good to be able to cuddle up and relax again.