Author Topic: Advice on suitability for a rescue Cocker  (Read 1952 times)

Offline LizR

• Site Member
Advice on suitability for a rescue Cocker
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:37:10 PM »
Hi - Please may I ask your advice - we very much want to adopt a rescue cocker and our last girl (who sadly died last November) came to us through Cocker rescue (South West - we live in North Devon).  If we are able to find a cocker through the same source that will be great, and we've made contact there but I appreciate this may take a long time and we wanted to look at other rescue centres as well.  I'm concerned that we may be refused because of our garden and I don't want to go ahead and put everyone through the trouble/ inconvenience / trauma etc unless we have at least a reasonable chance .  We live up a drive (which leads to a village road rather than a main road), have a fenced garden (pig netting - was put in professionally) and a gate - however the path from the gate to our house is also a right of way to the cottage next door (pedestrian only).  Our neighbour's garden/access is also gated as they have two (little) dogs - and they're very 'doggie' people, which is great :D but do you think we'll be turned down out of hand?  Sorry to be long winded and thank you in advance for this brilliant community. Liz

Offline PennyB

Re: Advice on suitability for a rescue Cocker
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »
Its a difficult one as each rescue may have different views on this --- secure fencing is important however. What could happen is that a lot of rescues work together and use the same homecheckers in some areas so it may be possible to have a homecheck from someone who lives close to you and a number of rescues woudl be willing to accept their assessment.

I think also the only way is for someone to look for themselves, but they will appreciate you being upfront about it.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:41:50 PM »
I do quite a lot of homechecks for various rescues and I just wonder whether or not being a right of way means that you can't have a gate on it.  If you had a gate with a sign saying "Please Close the Gate" then I can't see any objections from a homechecker's point of view.  You could also put a springy thingy (can't remember the proper name for them  :005:) on the gate to make sure it closes itself. 

Offline LizR

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »
I just wonder whether or not being a right of way means that you can't have a gate on it.

We did check on that and apparently as we own the land that the path is on, then as long as the people next door have access, it's ok to put a gate.  Good point about the 'springy thing' - I know what you mean!  Thank you for the suggestion.
Liz

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »
good luck!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:10 AM »
sounds like you've thought long and hard about a rescue dog and to me you would be a perfect candidate.  cindere's suggestion sounds fab about the gate, and also if you're upfront with the rescue then i would think they will take all things into consideration ;)

we have a similar problem but the communal path runs between the 5 terrace houses and the gardens PLUS we have a stream at the rear of the gardens so it is really difficult to try and secure - hence my reticence (plus an entire male boy) in getting a rescue.....

having said that, my immediate neighbour now has a rescue dog despite the garden situation.  the dog isn't out there unsupervised anyway and my neighbour has given this boy a loving happy home so in some situations it can work.

Really really hope you're able to find a cocker to share your lives with - they would be a very lucky pooch :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline LizR

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »
my immediate neighbour now has a rescue dog despite the garden situation.  the dog isn't out there unsupervised anyway

Thank you all for your positive comments!  Choccydrop - this sounds very encouraging - I know what you mean about being not being unsupervised, I'm bad enough with checking on the dogs next door let alone when we had/have one!  I'm searching the rescue pages for a cocker now (although I think this site is the best one to come to - you're all so quick at picking these up) and as suggested, we'll tell the centre about the garden and hope that the home visitor is sympathetic.  OH has put a 'springy thing' on the gate by the way!   :lol:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
good luck liz ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 11:07:05 PM »
Good Luck, I agree with all that has been said so far.

I think if you really want a rescue and have put a lot of thought into it you will always think of the odd negative thing about your home and not even give a thought to all of the positive things you are able to offer a dog.

When I had my home check for Ronald I was so worried I made myself sick.  I was worried about the fact that I had a dog already and 2 children and a cat even though the rescue had already told me that was fine.  I cried all night as I was convinced the home checker didn't like my home and made hubby phone the next day to find out the decision and of course all was fine :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx