Author Topic: Luke - 15 years old Merseyside Dogs Trust  (Read 9496 times)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Luke - 15 years old Merseyside Dogs Trust
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
TG you let that one out the bag - I was about to burst here!!  ;)

Good Luck Lisa  :-*
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »
ok gonna break my silence.....

I contacted DT about possibly a foster home for Luke and subject to a homecheck or vets reference...and The Groovy gang getting on OK with him...Luke may be coming to live here. DT are ok with the hours I work.

they think Luke is a little senile and barks for a while until he settles and is a little incontinent. The incontinence I can deal with, but my biggest concern is the barking. I dont want to stress my lot out as they come first...so nothing is definate.

Any constructive advice about dealing with senility will be gratefully received as I do need to be sensible about it ;)
Thanks for your PM Lisa, hopefully things will really work out for him, and cos you dont have kids he would be less stressed with you I'm sure. Keep me updated!  :-*
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
Some links here Lisa....

some just explinations about senility and some about possible treatments!

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25417.asp

thanks Lucy...I have done a bit of research, but this site in particular suggests things I'd been thinking of to deal with the problem so thats cool  ;)

I cant give him a home if his barking is too bad though.....I think it will just set them all off... ph34r so thats what I'm having to decide about  :-\  ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Lisa, all you can do is try it and see how it goes.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »
I hope it all goes well for you.  I think you are wonderful to give him a home, he has really tugged at my heartstrings and I would have had him in an instant if I could have got OH to agree.

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
Ooooooooooooohhh Lisa good luck I hope things work out for you!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline ehenry

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
Lisa, I hope Luke comes to stay with you and everything works out. We have old Ralph, from The Ark, who is 14, he came to join us in January. He also has a little problem with widdling(here there and everywhere..) but we are delighted at the progress this old man has made. His piddling has really greatly improved, and , with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that a lot of the widdling was marking and helping to find his way about, he had very poor eyesight , which we now believe has all but gone completely :'( He was quite quiet at first, but when he settled did have some barking episodes, mainly I think to get reassurance we were near by, this has also improved a lot but hasnt gone, and he wasnt at all distressed, in fact he is a very happy old man. I hope Luke has found his happy retirement home with you, Ralph has brought a lot of joy to us , we can learn a lot from these oldies, and when you see how they respond to being loved for who they are it is heartwarming. PS We also have 3 other cockers, who all know Ralph is the grandpa, so no problems :005:

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »
Lisa, I hope Luke comes to stay with you and everything works out. We have old Ralph, from The Ark, who is 14, he came to join us in January. He also has a little problem with widdling(here there and everywhere..) but we are delighted at the progress this old man has made. His piddling has really greatly improved, and , with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that a lot of the widdling was marking and helping to find his way about, he had very poor eyesight , which we now believe has all but gone completely :'( He was quite quiet at first, but when he settled did have some barking episodes, mainly I think to get reassurance we were near by, this has also improved a lot but hasnt gone, and he wasnt at all distressed, in fact he is a very happy old man. I hope Luke has found his happy retirement home with you, Ralph has brought a lot of joy to us , we can learn a lot from these oldies, and when you see how they respond to being loved for who they are it is heartwarming. PS We also have 3 other cockers, who all know Ralph is the grandpa, so no problems :005:

thank you for that  ;)

obviously at 15 years old Luke is likely to be a bit senile, but they've also told me some other things and it sounds like he's had a rough time :-\ so to hear  your story with Ralph is really positive so just maybe we can make Lukes last times good ones :shades:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
Well done Lisa!  :angel:
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
Ooo, just caught up with this! Bless you Lisa, you're an  :angel:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »
Any news yet, Lisa?
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
Any news yet, Lisa?

no i've not been able to get hold of the person I've been in contact with...or no one answers the fone...will try again tomorrow  ;)

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »

I hope everything goes ok.......this time last year we had a 16 year old and a 13 year old they have both now sadly passed away and we have the two 8 month old pups...big difference but I still sit under the old apple tree where the oldies are buried and miss them and have a small weep  :'(
I cant be sad for long because they gave us so much love and happiness.  :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »
I hope everything works out for you and Luke  :luv: