Author Topic: 4 Month old Chocolate Boy  (Read 7714 times)

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
4 Month old Chocolate Boy
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
I spotted this boy last week and was very tempted, but the timing just isn't right. I think someone on Dog Pages is interested but just incase it doesn't work out I thought I would mention him on here  :D

http://www.dogsfriends.co.uk/

Choccy is a young Working Cocker pup with a deformed leg, he is fine with other dogs and children.  He has a joint missing and the vet he saw advised the breeder that nothing could be done and suggested Choccy be put to sleep.  She didn't want to do this so Dogs Friends agreed to take him and see what we can do to help and of course we are sure we will be able to find him a home despite his disability. 

23/8/09 Choccy has seen a vet who has advised amputation of the front leg as he doesn't use it and is calloused where it drags and would becomre sore and infected.  We do not think Choccy will miss the leg as he has never used it and manages fine without it.  He is such a happy boy with great canine skills so it would be nice for him to go with another dog.

24/8/09 Choccy is having his operation this morning, we all wish him well, an update will follow.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: 4 Month old Chocolate Boy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
Oh bless him, almost pts and a leg amputated at just 4 months old, poor wee man. I'm sure he'll be snapped up though, he looks like a sweetheart :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »
Aww what a cutie, being a tripod wouldnt put me off in the slightest  :luv:

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
Aww what a cutie, being a tripod wouldnt put me off in the slightest  :luv:

nor me, he is gorgeous  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
He looks gorgeous - I wonder how much having a leg missing would slow a working cocker down  :-\ :dunno:  Hope he finds a loving home soon.  :luv: :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
Wouldn't put me off. If only I wasn't in the process of looking for a job  >:D OH would have just been told tough this time!
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »
Poor wee soul  :luv: :luv: keep us updated on this wee fellow please  :luv:
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
He looks gorgeous - I wonder how much having a leg missing would slow a working cocker down  :-\ :dunno: 

With him being so young he'll adapt really quickly and once he gets going I'm sure that you wouldn't really know the difference :luv:  I think with most 3 legged dogs it doesn't really hold them back much at all once they adapt.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
There's plenty tripod greyhounds and lurchers who can still outrun any other breed, doesnt bother them at all especially if its a back leg which bears less weight.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
There's plenty tripod greyhounds and lurchers who can still outrun any other breed, doesnt bother them at all especially if its a back leg which bears less weight.

That's what I thought but this is a front leg - not sure it would make him less lively though  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »

That's what I thought but this is a front leg - not sure it would make him less lively though  ::)

I'm sure he will adjust really quickly - the leg at the moment is just a hindrance  :'(  I have seen plenty of front leg amputees running like the wind  :luv:  they almost centralise the front leg in order to propel forward - and just get on with life  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »
I worked with a dog who had lost a front leg, he got about no problem. The only difficulty he had was in trying to eat a Kong as he couldn't hold it, but I'm sure a puppy would soon work out ways of jamming it against something. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
He is gorgeous.  :luv: I'm sure he will find his forever home very soon. I have known quite a few tripod dogs and have even seen them doing Agility. Dogs adapt very easily.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:55:22 AM »
Sscompany, hope you don't mind me asking, but as you've mentioned seeign tripod dogs in agility. Do they cope if their front leg is missing? I'm just thinking that with fast turns and stuff, that they might lose their balance. There's a tripod dog (lab or labx) running in flyball at the moment and he copes just fine and is fairly fast. Choccy I guess will be even more used to 3 legs as he has never been able to use his deformed leg and will be better off without it.

Hhhmmmm..more food for thought.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
He is just too cute for words,  :luv: I hope all goes well with his surgery.  He will make someone a super special little dog, when he is all recovered.  :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**