Author Topic: Loving home offered for show type female cocker spaniel in south wales  (Read 9938 times)

Offline bekc2005

Hello  :D,
I am hoping for some help please and really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this - many thanks to all!!!
I am 26 and my partner is 27. We live near to Llanelli, South Wales with our rescue cat William, who is 4 and a half years old.
We are renting our 3 bedroom house with garden, but have a letter from out landlord consenting us to have a dog (and our cat) at the property.
We would very much like to welcome into our home a show type cocker spaniel bitch and would prefer to get a rescue bitch, ideally less than 4 years old. Colour is not at all important, The only defining thing for me is I have my heart set on a girl! 
I have a lot of dog ownership experience (all rescues) of both pups and dogs, from my parents and grandparents dogs.
My partner is currently studying and I do not work far from home so the dog would be on her own for a max of 3-4 hours on occasions.
We feel we can offer a loving home not far from the beach (1 mile) and some of south wales best walking areas! We look forward to daily walks and weekend expeditions.
We have friends who have a working cocker, labrador and jack russel and hope ours will be 'friends' with theirs (although ours would be a pet!) and enjoy their company.
We are more than willing and plan to attend training classes with the dog, and have already enquired about classes in our area.
We want her to be spayed (we are not interested in having puppies from her) and she would be insured, injected and frontlined just like William is already.
I have been looking now for several months and to be honest, I am finding it very difficult and seem to have hit a brick wall!
I have contacted the kennel club Cocker Spaniel rescue to no avail, despite leaving phone messages, but would be very happy to hear from them!!!
I constantly check the on line forums such as dog pages, dogs blog and cocker spaniels on-line to see what rescue centres have available and are suitable as an only dog.
We would travel pretty much anywhere! Obviously closer would be better, but when we are hoping to be investing in a member of our family for say the next ten years, for the right dog I'd say 4 hours would be no problem. But we would consider more!!!
We have already posted on the dog pages forum and keep a close eye on many tears as it is just down the road but we do not have another dog to meet the requirements for an ex breeding bitch.
I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for us, as if unsuccessful in the near future, I imagine we will have to start looking at buying a pup as the only alternative!
Many thanks for your time,
Rebekah and Chris (+ William!)  :D

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
Hello,

Have you been on to Many Tears site as they have lots of female cockers in at the present moment who are waiting for a loving home like yours, we adopted a puppy farm bitch from them 3 years ago and she is just wonderful.
lots of luck in your search.

Offline sarahbe

Many Tears have lots- good luck and let us know!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
I think the problem is that Many Tears usually want another dog in residence for the puppy farm dogs, but they do occassionaly get ones where they would be more suited to being an only dog.

Its also worthwhile keeping an eye on the Nessr site, whilst they only have working cockers at the moment, they quite often get show cockers too.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline stephremon

We have already posted on the dog pages forum and keep a close eye on many tears as it is just down the road but we do not have another dog to meet the requirements for an ex breeding bitch.
I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for us, as if unsuccessful in the near future, I imagine we will have to start looking at buying a pup as the only alternative!
Many thanks for your time,
Rebekah and Chris (+ William!)  :D

they have been on many tears and are looking for a dog suitable for an only dog home - most rescues will only rehome ex-breeding bitches to a home where there is already a dog present...

Good luck in your search :) hope you find your little lady soon :)

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
I have posted on your thread on dp about a 4 month old cocker x girl  :D

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline bekc2005

Hi All thanks for your help so far!

Parky (as suggested on our DP thread) is attractive but not quite what we are looking for.......we're very set on a cocker spaniel!

And although Bean is gorgeous he is a boy! bless him. We really would like a girl!

Thanks x

Any more thoughts on available dogs out there?

:)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Make sure you register interest with the rescues near you - Many Tears, Four Paws and I think there's another but the name escapes me  :-\

Also contact the breed rescue and Spaniel rescues as many cockers don't get advertised anywhere  ;)  That's not to say there is one waiting for you now, you may have to wait for the right girl for you.  Good things come to those who wait though  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline PennyB

Make sure you register interest with the rescues near you - Many Tears, Four Paws and I think there's another but the name escapes me  :-\

Lizzies Barn
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bekc2005

Re: Loving home offered for show type female cocker spaniel in south wales
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
hello again Jaspersmum! Thanks for your advice.

I have tried to contact the cocker spaniel club rescue - I found that several of the numbers don't work from the website and I tried to contact a co-ordinator and was only able to leave messages! If anyone has any contact numbers for them that work I would be very greatful.

As for other spaniel rescues - does anyone have any suggestions? I have contacted NESSR to see if they can help me.

Thanks again for every ones time and although we are very keen to welcome the new girly, we knew with such specific requirements it may take time! x  :-\

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:17 AM »
Good Luck with your search.  :D

The only thing i would add is i have 2 girls & 1 boy and can honestly say my boy is so much more loving, cuddly, and easier to please than my girls.  :luv:  It may be worth considering either sex.  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Another option is to contact some of the big breeders, as they sometimes rehome their breeding bitches privately. I met someone yesterday who had just got a beautiful little 5 year old (free of charge) from a breeder who no longer used her.

Good luck with your search. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I know you are looking for a girl but there is a lovely blue roan boy , who is 6, looking for a new home, no real issues and can be an only dog :luv: He is at Lizzies Barn sorry don't know how to cross post ::)
Its located in Kidwelly  he is def worth a look.
Try this link and scroll down till you find him his name is Jake :luv:
http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=2296
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
Jake has been rehomed - his thread on here has been closed

apart from the ex-breeding bitches more male cockers tend to come up in rescue than females ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!