Author Topic: Nimble at Many Tears (12 week old Deaf puppy)  (Read 10558 times)

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: Nimble at Many Tears (12 week old Deaf puppy)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 02:10:37 PM »
Incidentally, our experience with Jeff is that if you've got another dog to lead the deaf one, most of the time you'd never realise the difference. Please will someone rehome her pronto before I can't stop myself   ph34r

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
So the owner is bad for not wanting/have the time to train a deaf pup but the breeder isn't? I have no experience of dog breeding other than what I have read on here but I would have thought the breeder has just as much responsibility for the dog as the new owner. Every new member that mentions breeding from their dog gets informed of the importance of being responsible for the pups if the new owners can't/won't keep them. I have no experience in training deaf dogs either so is this the responsible thing to do? (and that was a genuine question not a sarcastic comment  ;))
Not quite what I was getting at :-\ If I were the breeder I would have kept her, If I were the new owner I would have kept her IF I thought that were the best thing for the pup. I don't blame the breeder or the owner for doing a responsible thing, I know MT will find her the best home possible. The breeder is responsible for the long term welfare of any pups she breeds and I am sorry if you don't agree but I think the breeder has been responsible in handing her in to a well respected rescue centre that will find her the very best home :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
So the owner is bad for not wanting/have the time to train a deaf pup but the breeder isn't? I have no experience of dog breeding other than what I have read on here but I would have thought the breeder has just as much responsibility for the dog as the new owner. Every new member that mentions breeding from their dog gets informed of the importance of being responsible for the pups if the new owners can't/won't keep them. I have no experience in training deaf dogs either so is this the responsible thing to do? (and that was a genuine question not a sarcastic comment  ;))
Not quite what I was getting at :-\ If I were the breeder I would have kept her, If I were the new owner I would have kept her IF I thought that were the best thing for the pup. I don't blame the breeder or the owner for doing a responsible thing, I know MT will find her the best home possible. The breeder is responsible for the long term welfare of any pups she breeds and I am sorry if you don't agree but I think the breeder has been irresponsible in handing her in to a well respected rescue centre that will find her the very best home :-\

I see what you're saying. I suppose me calling the breeder cruddy was harsh, I'd just been looking at the ex breeding girls and was getting a bit angry.

But ( ph34r) I think with the overwhelming amount of dogs in rescue and being PTS as there is no space for them then anyone considering breeding must take things like this into consideration.

Millie

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »

What a stunning little girl.....I wonder if she would be ok with my two boys  :luv: they are very gentle.
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »

What a stunning little girl.....I wonder if she would be ok with my two boys  :luv: they are very gentle.

Course she would  :D

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »
As for the breeder/owner argument, Jeff was returned to his breeder the day after he went to his new home - no-one realised he was deaf until he left the litter. The new owners were first time dog owners and had no other dog, so it wouldn't have been the best home for him. The breeder contacted the CSS which is how I found out about him; if we hadn't had him she would have kept him. It does seem a shame this little soul has had to go to a rescue, so has effectively had three homes in her short little life :'(,  and couldn't just stay with the breeder until a new home was found (by MT), but then she may be from a farm I guess.

Just to reiterate, training a deaf puppy really is no harder then training a hearing one, you just need a little more patience, especially with toilet training (you can't say "no" to it, so have to be ready to jump up and move the pup as soon as it squats  :lol2:), another dog, a secure garden and good, secure off-lead walks (more for peace of mind than anything; if either dog was to stray onto a road it would be Annie not Jeff  ::)). Jeff is actually better at recall than Annie (as long as he's looking at you and not sniffing), and doesn't go nearly as far away.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
Aww she is just adoooooreable  :luv:  I really hope she is lucky enough to have a COL home  :D Go for it Henshallboys  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
I wish my two 'hooman' boys would hurry and grow up so I had more time  :005:
She's just adorable!  :luv:

Offline eloisecherry

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi everyone  :D

My name is Adrienne and I am a fosterer for Many Tears. Nimble  :luv: is coming on foster to me tomorrow so I can let you know how she is getting on!

I was recommended Cockers Online as an excellent source of information for all things cocker hence my registration. Although I have fostered numerous dogs already, Nimble is my first cocker and also my first deaf dog, so would welcome any advice from those who have experience of deaf dogs.

We believe that she may not be totally deaf but obviously I will assess that once she is here. She is also in the habit of circling, which is something I need to deal with, hopefully this could just be because she is stressed and worried :'(

I have 3 dogs of my own here to help her, Tilly an Irish Lab, Nala a MT ex breeding Weimeraner (failed foster  :shades:!) and Fifi a MT ex puppy farm 6 month old cavvy puppy (also a failed foster! :005:).

Hopefully Fifi will be a nice playmate for her and Tilly and Nala calming influences.

By the way for any of you thinking of applying for her, we are in Dursley, Gloucestershire. ;)
Adrienne
x
Mum to Tilly Lab, Nala Weimeraner and Fifi the Cavvy pup - all rescues! Fosterer for Many Tears Animal Rescue

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:48 PM »

Course she would  :D

2 big brothers.................. sounds perfect  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 08:09:17 PM »

By the way for any of you thinking of applying for her, we are in Dursley, Gloucestershire. ;)
Adrienne
x

OMG I am soooo glad that I have been down to Glos and back up here in Scotland or I would have been round like a shot , she is gorgeous and if i wasn't working I could be very tempted to take her on  (yes I would travel the 400 miles to get her too )

Welcome to COL by the way and can we have more pics of her and an update how she settles in with you and your lot please pretty please - I hope she is gonna find her forever home real soon, and who knows you could be a FF for the 3rd time  :shades:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL Adrienne (eloisecherry). :D
You will find this forum very helpful and friendly.
I SO admire people like you who foster dogs.  I would love to do it myself but am not in a position yet (I work part-time).
I wish you the best of wishes with little Nimble and it would be lovely if you could post photos of her as she gains confidence. 
I am sure a home will be found quickly for this little poppet.
Bless you for giving these little dogs a second chance.  :bigarmhug:

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline eloisecherry

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »
Thank you for your lovely welcome  :D

Of course I will take pictures of little Miss Nimble for you to look at. In the meantime here is one of Fifi  :luv: :luv:our Cavvy puppy who came to us with Mange, lungworm and ear mites.... :'(

Nala  :luv: :luv:our Weimeraner who had a miserable existence at a Puppy Farm and is a very shy girl  :'(

And finally Matilda Mary (Tilly)  :luv: :luv:an Irish Stray for Dog's Trust who is personality plus and a tad naughty!!

I notice that all of the MT Cocker's are listed on here which is wonderful. Does someone keep an eye on the main MY website and then post them here too?

Adrienne
Mum to Tilly Lab, Nala Weimeraner and Fifi the Cavvy pup - all rescues! Fosterer for Many Tears Animal Rescue

Offline gorgeouspoppy

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »
Hello + welcome to col from another MT fosterer  :D 

Nimble is  :luv: - give her a cuddle from us!  :luv: :luv:

Jo, Poppy, Misty + Kinda.xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Welcome! Fifi and Tilly are beautiful but I have to admit I'm just a bit in love with Nala  :luv: :luv:

A lot of cockers that come up in rescue make their way here and are crossposted here by any of our members but if there is an easier way and better system then by all means let us know  ;)
helen & jarvis x