Cocker Specific Discussion > Behaviour & Training

male neutering

<< < (2/5) > >>

Anonymous:
thanks Pam. I would like to know how Jasper gets on, it may help with my decision. I wouldnt want to put him through an operation if it isnt going to make any difference, I dont think he'd thank me for it!! >:(

Nicky (& Charlie)                    

Pammy:
Michelle - I believe their is a femal equivalent - but bitch owners arenot keen on it. I'm sure jane will know more and enlighten you.

Pam n the boys

PS day three and no difference yet!!                    

Michele:
Thanks Pam, this afternoon I booked Georgia in to be spayed later this month as she'll be mid season by then. That will only leave one entire bitch in the house (Neneh), so hopefully Otis 8) won't get too upset when she comes in.
I was just curious as Tardak gives a good indicator for owners of male dogs, and wondered about owners with problematic bitches. I hope this makes sense, I can't think or type straight this afternoon.                    

Jane S:
There are hormone injections for bitches but they're not really like the Tardak injections & I've not heard of them being used in the way Tardak is used ie to test whether neutering would cure certain behavioural problems. With bitches, hormone injections can be used to delay a bitch coming into season or to stop a season once its begun. We have done this a couple of times (once when we were moving house & didn't want one of our bitches in season when she had to go into kennels) but it's not something I would want to do regularly as there is evidence that these injections can affect fertility & can also increase the risk of a bitch developing pyometra, but they can be useful now & again :)

Jane                    

Michele:
Thanks Jane, I know of the hormone injection to delay a season. I was just curious to know if there was anything to help owners with grumpy bitches (that sounds awful). Perhaps bitches are just more level headed than dogs (yeah right) ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version