Author Topic: Changing to raw will it help with Bracken's behaviour  (Read 1536 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Changing to raw will it help with Bracken's behaviour
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
Not sure if this is the right thread to put on, anyway, Bracken loves eating other dogs runny poo and it's getting more frequent, it's a long shot but I was thinking changing his diet to raw instead of his normal feed of Autarky puppy see if that makes a difference, but thought I'd write here first see if any of you had the same problem and changing over diets sorted the problem out?

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Changing to raw will it help with Braken's behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
Teal would eat her own occasionally but has not done this recently since she has been on RAW but it may be that she has just grown out of it.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline maddy74

Re: Changing to raw will it help with Braken's behaviour
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
Willow used to eat sheep, fox and rabbit poo but has grown out of it. Although now and then she will snaffle of odd rabbit dropping, maybe because it looks like her kibble  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Changing to raw will it help with Bracken's behaviour
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:05:01 PM »
I doubt if changing to a raw diet would stop a dog eating other dogs poo  :-\

Coco used to be a nightmare for this (and her own poo :020: )  In the end, the only thing that worked was to distract her with a treat and get her to leave it.  Eventually she grew out of it - now she just sticks to cat poo  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline Abbi

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
Abbi is selective about what poo she eats. Some she sniffs and walks on and others she gobbles up before I can stop her. She was kibble fed and is now raw fed but neither has made any difference to her disgusting habit. She is now 4 so doubt she'll grow out of it.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
So what your saying changing diets won't help! I was thinking tonight it's the common I use daily he does it, I have not notice this on any other walks we do! X

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
They say oe of the reasons they eat poo is because something is missing in their diet. If raw provides all your dogs nutrional requirements and presuming eating poo has not also turned into a habit it would seem logical to me that the cycle may be broken.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »
A simple solution to this would be to take Hume where there isn't an abundance of pooh. Obviously where you take him there is a lot poor owners of dogs who don't pick up there pooh

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Our GR girl used to eat her own and other dog's poo.  We tried the tablets that you can get from the pet shop but they didn't work.  She used to turn around and eat it as soon as she had produced it, so even cleaning it up immediately didn't help.  I spoke to the vet and she said that it was quite normal dog behaviour and only disgusting to us, but of course it made her breath smell terrible!  We never did manage to stop her.  I'm fairly sure that there is a thread on here somewhere that I read fairly recently that suggests using brewers yeast tablets in their food to make their poo unpalatable to them - but I'm not sure enough to recommend it - I suspect that the tablets we got from the pet shop were something similar.  We changed her food several times but it didn't make any difference, didn't try raw as I didn't know anything about raw feeding then, it hadn't become popular.