Author Topic: How old do you start giving a puppy treats?  (Read 828 times)

Offline wayo47

How old do you start giving a puppy treats?
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Hi all!
We are due to pick up our new little boy in a week! I'm on countdown!
The question I have here is when do u start giving pups treats as looking at the treats in many retailers it says for puppies from 12 weeks. I'm a little confused,being new to all this ,but our pup will be 9 weeks when we have him?
Thanks all  :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: How old do you start giving a puppy treats?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
Hello and welcome to col

I would definately let him settle in first. New home, leaving mum & siblings etc., can upset a pup's tum anyway, so best to wait a while before giving him treats  to make sure he is ok with his new environment. Particularly if you are a bit concerned what treats to give, if they do upset him you won't know what is causing the upset (new home/food/treats) iyswim.

Following on from that - when you know tum is ok, I would expect the packets to say the age that the treats are alright from.

I am sure members will be along shortly to give more advice and what is best to avoid. MInstrel likes Fish4Dogs all stars training treats and they seems to suit his tum, but there are many others available. I think treats with lots of salt content are best avoided.

Warning: I am probably being a bit over cautious in advise as my pup had a jippy tummy from the start  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
Pets at Home has a special puppy section so I would think that there a treats in there for little ones
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »
Most of the commercial puppy treats do seem to say suitable from 12 weeks although I did find some in P@H which were from 8 weeks.

However, That was 18mnths ago when Bailey was a pup and if I had a pup now I would probably stick to things like tiny pieces of cooked chicken.

My 2 are both fed raw now but if you are feeding kibble then there is no reason why you can't use part of their daily kibble allowance as treats whilst training.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:35:48 PM »
I was also going to suggest some very small cooked chicken pieces as it wont upset his tum and you want to start the rewards for toileting outside from day 1! 

Later you can make your own by cooking some lambs liver in the oven and chopping finely.

Offline linda c

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
I would stick to whatever the breeder has been feeding him for a few weeks to give him time to settle into his new home with you.
You can change him to whatever you want him to have very gradually, I don't think different treats are really necessary and as others have already said if he gets an upset tummy you'll know exactly what he has been having.
Some can eat anything with no problems others can have sensitive digestions so just be a bit on the cautious side to start with.
Enjoy your new puppy, fun and games all the way  :D

Offline wayo47

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
Thank you for all your great advice as always on here!
Can't wait to pick him up , I think I am prepared , have stocked up on everything you can imagine!!!!
Will probably stick with the kibble or some chicken!
Thank you! :luv:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Mine just got a piece of kibble.
Got lectured at the vets years about only giving very small treats. I wouldn't mind but puppy kibble is tiny