Author Topic: Weight calculator  (Read 9203 times)

Offline JEM95

Weight calculator
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a weight calculator for cockers?
Apologies if this has already popped up before - I had a quick search and couldn't find anything.
Thank you!
Jan & Molly

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Weight calculator
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »
I'm probably being a bit slow here, but do you mean calculating how much a Cocker should eat or how much a Cocker should weigh? Or something else! :D

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
i've used this for reference, shows American and English cockers.

Weights & Daily Calorie Requirements of Cocker Spaniel ...
mycockerspaniel.com › weights_der_coc...

Don't know if this is actually what you meant, - I was interested in the calorie allowance, which incidently isn't shown on the dried food bags (at least it isn't here in Germany). I just emailed the food company and they gave me the calories per gramm. Hope that helps!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
There are several body condition charts available online and here's the link to the Purina one which also has a video showing how quick and easy it is to carry out a check.

https://www.purina.co.uk/dogs/health-and-nutrition/exercise-and-weight-management/dog-body-condition-tool

It's difficult to give a general ideal weight for a cocker as they vary so much but it's fairly easy for you to check if your particular cocker is too thin or too fat by assessing its body outline by looking down on the dog from above to see if it has a pronounced waist and feeling along its flanks to see how much fat is covering the ribs.

Bob.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice-pages/advice_sitemap.htm
Not sure if the link will work. It's Powerscourt cocker spaniels,  go to advice, then scroll down and there's info about body shape and a feeding calculator.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline JEM95

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
Ooops sorry - I meant something that will show me whether Molly is on target weight-wise.  She looks a litle tubby to me, but appears on target or even a little under weight using PuppyWeights calculator.

The links you have given me are just what I was looking for so thank you :-) and apologies for being woolly!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »
Ooops sorry - I meant something that will show me whether Molly is on target weight-wise.  She looks a litle tubby to me, but appears on target or even a little under weight using PuppyWeights calculator.

The links you have given me are just what I was looking for so thank you :-) and apologies for being woolly!

I wouldn't take too much notice of a weight chart because Cockers vary a lot in build and height, and puppies go through growth spurts and then stages where they don't seem to grow much. My 2 adult show type boys conform to the breed standard in terms of height, build and weight but when one was Molly's age he was a big puppy and would probably have been classed as overweight according to the graphs on the Powerscourt Cockers website, whereas the other one would probably have been classed as small and weedy at the same age :005:

Have a look at Molly from above and have a feel of her ribs. Ideally you should be able to see a noticeable but not pronounced waist behind her ribs and in front of her hindquarters when viewed from above. You should also be able to feel her ribs without having to press hard, but they shouldn't feel really bony or be visible.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
I don't know if this is relevant here, but I'm going to mention it anyway, because someone might find themselves in the same position.
At Humphrey's first check up with our vet, he told me he was a bit on the chubby side, and two other people said the same thing, during that week. I got totally obsessed with his weight, spent hours on the net, started weighing his kibble to the last mlligram, doing the same with treats etc.The breeder told me to calm down, feed him (obviously within reason) what he needed and that once he was tearing around, he'd be fine. A fews weeks later, he caught a stomach bug and to be honest I was quite glad he'd got a bit of reserve, as he hardly kept anything down for a few days. He's now 7 months and just over 10 Kgs. I still weigh his kibble, just to have a bit of control but I do feel that "puppy fat" is called that, because that's precicely what it is and I think its a shame that I chewed myself up unnecessarily for weeks. Just wanted to warn any other puppy moms and dads out there, - unfortunately I hadn't found this site at that time, no doubt the advice would have been better!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »
I must admit to never bothering to weigh Jinleys food (she is raw fed) but just fed her what "looked right".  She also has a plastic box of kibble down on the floor that she occasionally gets a few pieces for a snack.  One bag can last me up to 12 months.  Every now and again, she has a day of not bothering to eat.  As bizzylizzy says, as an active puppy, I would rather give a little too much as they can lose weight very quickly.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
Weight is pretty irrelevant with cockers because they vary in size so much there is no ideal weight. I worried about Murphy being overweight because he did look it. Then we had all his fluff shaved off and he looked half the size. As other people have said, if they look right then they more than likely will be.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
I have 2 cockers that weigh about 10 & 11 kg each and both adults - its fine for them.

Am a believer in the fact that as a puppy grows as long as they gain weight they're fine
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
Bonnie is a big strapping lass for a working cocker, but she has a waist and plenty of energy so I don't worry about her being 16kg and only 7 months!  :005:

Offline JEM95

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »
Thank you all for replying - it's great to hear your views.

I had Molly trimmed on Friday, just ears, legs and paws to start with. Her body hair is so thick and fluffy she looks even tubbier now!

I can feel her ribs though, and when she got soaked yesterday she definitely had a bit of a waist!

I worry a bit as she has a ruptured crucate ligament, so is on sedate lead walks only.  She weighed in at 8.1kg at the vets a couple of days ago and is all but six months old now.

I guess it is natural to worry slightly.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
Of course it is and none of us were born experts. Its a learning process but I've found this is the best place for support,  better to ask then worry needlessly. ' Hope Molly's ligament better soon!  :D