Author Topic: Fussy eater! Best wet food??  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Lulabear

Fussy eater! Best wet food??
« on: January 22, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Hi
Cooper will scoff down treats but tends to be quite fussy re the ones he likes (discarded ones get buried  >:() but I also have the fussy attitude  re his food.  I tend to feed him half dry ( Origen) and try to vary half wet but he often will not eat breakfast or dinner!  He used to be on natures menu wet but seemed very bored so I recently tried Butternut Box which are a new delivery  company offering premium homemade food. Still bored and refusing meals.
He’s perfectly well in all other regards. Just seems not hungry for his meals!
I’m wondering what tasty high quality wet food I can try to tempt him into engaging with his food again. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Fussy eater! Best wet food??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:51:31 PM »
I feed Branston Forthglade Puppy with rice - altho he is not a puppy, he had some serious weight loss issues on dry food and vet suggested wet complete puppy to start with, and as he has done so well on it, gaining nearly all the weight he lost, I am keeping him on it for the time being. Forthglade do several meat meals either with or without rice and also  'Just'  which are just meat. Meals come in 395g trays and I notice in some varieties they also have 150g trays, which is a new thing.

Fair to say they have had trouble since moving to their new factory with stocks, but seem to be getting back to normal now.

Nature Diet also make wet food both with rice and grain free, but do not have the variety of menus that Forthglade does. Both also do fish menus.

Hope above helps
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
Could it be a texture thing ?

Bea is a fussy eater but has recently settled , I now only switch between 2 varieties otherwise I'm just rewarding her for being fussy   ;)

She doesn't like mush so if it's a solid food I chop it into chunks, if it's with gravy I drain most of this off .

I also add extra veg and a small amount of Turkey or white fish and this tends to do the trick, I would try reducing the treats , Bea would live off her treats if I let her :005:

So many good quality dry and wet foods are out there now but I have to say RAW would always haver her telling me that it's dinner time and that she needs feeding NOW !

Most of us have visited this site for help at some point.
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
I am having the same problem with my Amber she is 19 wks old (is) and fussy and frets around her food, she insists on waiting till the big dog eats hers than spends ages licking her dish, but has to be coaxed ot eat her food, tried Forthglade/natures/diet lilys kitchen..she went off that,... raw Natures Menu/Nutriment  loved it then went of f it ..etc etc I have been back and forth and am worried she will lose weight as she is quite a lean pup. She has plenty of energy, but I want to keep her weight up would appreciate suggestions, have a fridge with varieties of half eaten food, I cant leave her with it on the floor for long as I am worried my older dog might grab it as she is n a special diet...

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
When Archie was fussy as a pup (he still is to a degree!) I swapped him to Wainwright’s wet trays from Pets at Home. It was absolutely brilliant and he loved it. I had to change him to a fish based diet due to chronic colitis so now he has fishmongers finest wet trays. Forthglade is very similar to Wainwright’s but contains veggies (a no no for Archie).

Offline its.sme

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »
I am having the same problem with my Amber she is 19 wks old (is) and fussy and frets around her food, she insists on waiting till the big dog eats hers than spends ages licking her dish, but has to be coaxed ot eat her food, tried Forthglade/natures/diet lilys kitchen..she went off that,... raw Natures Menu/Nutriment  loved it then went of f it ..etc etc I have been back and forth and am worried she will lose weight as she is quite a lean pup. She has plenty of energy, but I want to keep her weight up would appreciate suggestions, have a fridge with varieties of half eaten food, I cant leave her with it on the floor for long as I am worried my older dog might grab it as she is n a special diet...

Have you tried feeding your dogs in a different room's away from each other,  the pup might be concerned about upsetting the big dog, could it be a pack thing where the top dog eats first ?

If they are fed away from each other Amber might relax around meal times and happily eat.

Sharon.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
After years of feeding expensive quality food .to the spaniels, I continued with my other breed rescue dogs. One has  28 teeth extracted and the other has a tiny mouth of little teeth, so neither have dry food.  My sons 18kg dog is gleaming and bounding with health on a 2 cans  of Butchers a day. So I did my homework , and found that it’s pretty good stuff, the fussy one goes berserk for it,  and both do perfect poops. Yes there’s a lot of water in it, in the form of nutritious jelly,  so they don’t drink as much,  theres a grain free option if necessary, and dogs think it’s delicious.
Forthglade had hard peas in it, about 20 per pack, which bounced across the kitchen when spat out, and are merely a cheap protein. The other ones are like pate, and weren’t appreciated.   I feel that the other trendy new wet foods are too expensive, and the list of herbs etc area bit of a con because they are a minimal pinch!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline fionad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
My fusspots eat Canagan wet food in Welsh Lamb flavour. Yes, they are that fussy!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
I have tried feeding the dogs together and separate no difference, she eats a bit and wanders off, then wanders back eats a bit more and off again, she is easily distracted slightest sound seems an excuse not to eat tried to lock her in, she stands whining, she is a nightmare, but buzzing with health and energy?? She is teething but why would she eat sometimes and not others within hours of each other, she is driving me mad, I had two years of this when my poor Ruby had kidney failure and I thought with a youngster I was free of that toil

Offline its.sme

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 05:21:08 AM »
Teething can be a testing time for everyone,  her mouth is sore and her teeth are probably loose so eating can be painful.

If she is healthy and full of energy then it might be worth just riding this one out, let her eat small amounts often until her mouth feels better.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
While Ollie is 11 and always a fussy eater - he will never eat dry food on his own, so he has a mix of the two.
For the last couple of years have given him Nature Diet, it is the protein and rice types.  If I run out I do get Forthglade
Was buying from Wilko - but when the company moved away from plastic Wilk stopped stocking.
So know I buy online and get in bulk.  Some pet stores might have them or you could ring the company in Norfolk and ask if they may send you a sample.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »
One of our local pet stores stopped stocking Naturediet once it changed to the Tetra packs....and put their prices up, they said no one would buy it at the new prices. Don't know if ND have relented on the pricing, yet.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 07:45:16 PM »
I am really puling my hair out, Amber will eat frozen raw cubes , but wont touch it once defrosted, today she has had a bit of pasta and liver, a few bicuits, defrosting some tripe but she will have some of that...I can understand her mouth being sore, but why would she manage to chomp raw cubes and even chew pine cones, yet eats like her mouth is sore????

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:17 AM »
Is it a texture thing?

Our pup definitely prefers firmer raw food and pushes the wetter stuff around bowl. Oily fish causes the most pickiness and is often left or he needs encouragement to eat it.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
Very strange. Personally I would take her to the vet to check whether she has any inflammation or mouth ulcers.  Sometimes they can manage to get a splinter of a stick stuck, or causing damage.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.