Author Topic: Homemade dog treats...recipes anyone?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline IonaD

Homemade dog treats...recipes anyone?
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any homemade recipes for dog treats?

I’ve been making small biscuits for Bella with flour, polenta, cheese and water and these can last for two weeks in a killer jar. Just wondering if anyone has any other recipes I can try?

Or...if anyone can suggest any healthy/natural shop bought treats?

Thank you as always!!

Iona & Bella.x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Homemade dog treats...recipes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
Not personally - I do the dogs a favour and buy mine, lol. I get them either Forthglade Grain Free or Fish4Dogs and they have a Burns Keltie when going to bed. If you go on the Forthglade FB page, they have a link to some homebake treats atm

https://forthglade.com/shop-dog/dog-treats    also available from Amazon, VetUK, etc

Some years ago I remember seeing a recipe on here for liver cake, searched but could not find it...sorry  :huh:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
I lost the proper recipe for liver cake so just ad lib. - wizz up raw liver in the mixer, add an egg and something to bind it ( I‘ve used potato flour or normal flower), sometimes I add a bit of grated carrot or dried herbs. Spread onto a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven. I cut it into small squares and freeze and take a handful out as required.
Good thing about baking for the dogs is that not much can go wrong - Humphrey‘s not put off by a soggy bottom, he appreciates all my efforts!!  :lol: :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
I lost the proper recipe for liver cake so just ad lib. - wizz up raw liver in the mixer, add an egg and something to bind it ( I‘ve used potato flour or normal flower), sometimes I add a bit of grated carrot or dried herbs. Spread onto a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven. I cut it into small squares and freeze and take a handful out as required.
Good thing about baking for the dogs is that not much can go wrong - Humphrey‘s not put off by a soggy bottom, he appreciates all my efforts!!  :lol: :luv:

Sounds good to me  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »

Sounds good to me  :D

It's a great base recipe, you can add carrots,  Portage oats etc to it, Bea always loved it 😀

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »
Sounds fab!!

Now all I need to do is work out the Italian for liver and I’m ready to get baking!! The things I do for this dog!!

Quick question for mudmagnets...which Burns Keltie do you give them before bed time? I’m looking for a treat/snack to tide her over till the morning and I could only find what looked like small treats on amazon and I wasn’t sure if they were the right ones.

x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »
Sounds fab!!

Now all I need to do is work out the Italian for liver and I’m ready to get baking!! The things I do for this dog!!

Quick question for mudmagnets...which Burns Keltie do you give them before bed time? I’m looking for a treat/snack to tide her over till the morning and I could only find what looked like small treats on amazon and I wasn’t sure if they were the right ones.

x

Hello There is only one kind of Burns Kelties, they are reasonable size biscuit, they have oats, rice and chicken in them. I give mine 1+1/2 a night,  it prevents that morning bile sickness. Here is the link: https://www.viovet.co.uk/Burns-Kelties-Dog-Treats/c14115/    also widely available from many other dog food websites, but I get mine from our local pet shop.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »
That’s exactly what I need them for. Just a little snack pre bed to stop her being sick!!

I will order some up!!

Thank you.x