Author Topic: Cocker can’t have certain foods?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Elisha9

Cocker can’t have certain foods?
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
So I’ve noticed that Poppy can definitely not have chicken! It’s been a long road trying foods and taking them away and found out it is defo chicken now. She gets the runs, and or ‘soft’ poops.
Any other Cockers like this? And what food do you feed yours? Still trying to figure out the best type for my girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Cocker can’t have certain foods?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
So I’ve noticed that Poppy can definitely not have chicken! It’s been a long road trying foods and taking them away and found out it is defo chicken now. She gets the runs, and or ‘soft’ poops.
Any other Cockers like this? And what food do you feed yours? Still trying to figure out the best type for my girl!

Neither of mine can have chicken, same results as Poppy, this includes treats containing mainly chicken. Mine have Forthglade Turkey meals one grain free, the other with rice. If they are not well I buy Turkey minces or leg/breast (depending on funds available) and cook them with either rice or mashed spud(no additives butter,milk,salt) or I give boiled fish with rice/spud if unwell,

I think there are quite a few dogs intolerant to chicken. A lot of companies have chicken as part of a diet. Naturediet
 do Chicken & Turkey, Lamb and Chicken for example as well as their Purely range that are single source protein meals that includes Lamb as well as Salmon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »

Neither of mine can have chicken, same results as Poppy, this includes treats containing mainly chicken. Mine have Forthglade Turkey meals one grain free, the other with rice. If they are not well I buy Turkey minces or leg/breast (depending on funds available) and cook them with either rice or mashed spud(no additives butter,milk,salt) or I give boiled fish with rice/spud if unwell,

I think there are quite a few dogs intolerant to chicken. A lot of companies have chicken as part of a diet. Naturediet
 do Chicken & Turkey, Lamb and Chicken for example as well as their Purely range that are single source protein meals that includes Lamb as well as Salmon.

I was looking into putting them both on raw now she is 1. Pops same with treats too. Anything that has chicken in she can’t touch, tried raw chicken food didn’t I, few months back now. That really didn’t go well! Ill for days! Turkey was fine though. I’ll look at turkey stuff then as I need to find something. Even Dog biscuits now have to be beef, but want to find something better than biscuits if you get what I mean! She loves rice, eggs (cooked) too. I get boar treats now, or liver, beef etc.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »
Have a look at this co. Altho I found I had to feed 25% more than recommended amounts to keep Minstrel on a good weight, and in the end changed as it didn't really suit him, it might just suit Poppy - all dogs are different, after all. They do dry and wet foods, cooked at very low temperatures and I think you can mix and match to your own recipe/requirements. As you will see they do many dry ranges, click on Shop to see the full ranges.

They also make 'healthy treats' I find the mixture of flavours in these a bit 'interesting' shall we say, and therefore have not tried them on my boys.

http://www.tribalpetfoods.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3WOX8kax0pUGAShVv4S4avC-imt-1jbHrIAqcYrGhq6G-M1mTi4k5WlaQ

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
Yes. Archie has lots of foods he can’t eat. In the end I had him allergy tested so I know for sure what he can eat. The biggest no now turned out to be peas and soya - both of which are in many foods and treats. He is now on a fish and potato only diet. (Fishmongers finest from pets at home.)

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
My Marley can't have chicken or beef. Haven't tried turkey. He's fine with fish so he gets a couple of tins of sardines a week mixed in with his salmon based kibble and sometimes the odd whole fish. The fish has been good for his coat for sure. I did want to feed him raw but as he's got an intolerance to certain foods and I was also told you can't feed a dog fish every day I decided against the raw diet so he gets fish two or three times a week as a special treat.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Lots of dogs can’t tolerate Chicken.Rosie had real issues with food as a pup and one vet suggested chicken and rice with no improvement but then another vet suggested salmon and potato and We havent looked back.Salmon or white fish kibble with a mix of cooked fish and veg ( home made in bulk and frozen) on top.Have since introduced turkey and veg as a topping and all is fine having read that turkey is usually ok.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
It really is trial and error when your cocker has a sensitive tum.
Ollie can have a little chicken but only breast meat and certainly only say a third of a fillet with his food(too much to often oh dear) or it's early to rise and frequent trips in the garden.  White fish is fine and so are certain makes dog food, but has to be 60% protein and rice and veg.  He cannot digest potato!!

I have used Naturediet and there recent packaging change made the food less acceptable (smell wise) so went to Nature Deli and have not looked back....I just got a couple to try and he is fine.

I have also found the addition of one heaped teaspoon plain probiotic yogurt helps just once a day.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
It really is amazing to me that considering what Branston would eat if he didn't have his muzzle on, how his system can rebel if he eats particular decent foods.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
My Marley can't have chicken or beef. Haven't tried turkey. He's fine with fish so he gets a couple of tins of sardines a week mixed in with his salmon based kibble and sometimes the odd whole fish. The fish has been good for his coat for sure. I did want to feed him raw but as he's got an intolerance to certain foods and I was also told you can't feed a dog fish every day I decided against the raw diet so he gets fish two or three times a week as a special treat.

Fish every day is totally fine - Archie’s been on it for years. If feeding raw fish it’s best to avoid salmon though. It can contain a parasite (Neorickettsia helminthoeca - apparently!  ;)) that can be fatal to dogs.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »
Archive bean what kind of fish do you feed your dog everyday? My Marley eats tins of sardines twice a week. I'm not sure whether I should feed him them everyday because they are high in salt. I do wash the oil off the fish.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
He has Fishmongers finest wet trays from pets at home  - so it’s prepared with all the correct nutrients that he needs. I wouldn’t trust myself to get the balance right by going DIY! He used to be on a strict salmon only diet but now he has the three varieties they make - salmon, trout or white fish. All are fine. Every now and again I give him a tin of butchers tripe mix which he goes MENTAL over. It’s seems OK for his tummy but I don’t risk it more than a couple of times a month! For training treats he has the fishmongers finest kibble and bigger treats are salmon skin twists and milky bones. Rationed  :005:. Half a one at a time. They are the only way to retrieve a stolen item from him so as far as he is concerned they are the ultimate goal in his life.  :shades:

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
Thanks Archie bean I'll have a look at these foods. I've tried him on tripe but again it gives him the runs unfortunately.

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
Thanks all. Been trying meat with rice, eggs, veg etc and seems fine! Have a vet appointment booked for new year to check her over and go through putting her on raw with the rice, eggs, veg etc. And checking for any allergies etc also!
Never once thought about fish to be honest, that may be worth a go also then, she seems to enjoy everything. Not a fussy girl at all, when I cook she sits on the bar stool and waits to see if she’s going to be allowed anything haha. Goes mad for it all.
I’ve tried trays, all natural ones, natural instinct, forthglade (I think) and they all seem fine also!
A long road of trial and error with this girl! My Collie has never had any problems!