Author Topic: sensitive stomach  (Read 8947 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
sensitive stomach
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »
hiya i could do with some suggestions about food.

max has had terrible problems with his poo since we got him, constantly runny, we have now been on a perscription only diet from the vets to find out if it is his stomach that cannot tollerate normal dog food, it has worked a treat and he has lovely firm poos now so im well chuffed :shades:

the problem i have now is to find a brand that is for sensitive stomachs and do the week long change over, and that is actually going to be good for him and his poo lol

can anyone recomend anything or have they got a dog in the same position and you have found a food that keeps them on the right track ?

i cant afford to keep him on the prescription diet at £3.00 a day  :embarassed: i wish i could but i have 2 dogs and a cat to feed too

any ideas would be really great then i can go out tommorow and get some  :shades:

thanks for reading xx

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: sensitive stomach
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »
sams always been a bit runny and any little thing can upset his belly (except a box of chocs :o). he is fed on burns, he's got really firm poos on this. he was on hills before that where he would be fine for a couple of days then back to the squits ::)

hope this helps.

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
Hi there  :blink: , its an awful thing to deal with and you just feel so sorry for them   :luv: and helpless into the bargain  :-\

I know that Burns do a pork and potato food for sensitive tums  :-\

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »
i dont think i can afford burns  :'(

ive just been reading the thread on autarky, is anyone still using this at the mo and are they ok with it :blink:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »
The thing with Burns is while it may seem expensive, they don't need as much of it.  I recently ran out of burns and had to get an emergency bag of cheapy from tesco as it had not been delivered, with Burns they have 10% of their body weight, which with my dogs makes about 130g of food per day, split over two meals, the tesco one was feeding 200 - 250g so almost double the amount.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
The thing with Burns is while it may seem expensive, they don't need as much of it.  I recently ran out of burns and had to get an emergency bag of cheapy from tesco as it had not been delivered, with Burns they have 10% of their body weight, which with my dogs makes about 130g of food per day, split over two meals, the tesco one was feeding 200 - 250g so almost double the amount.  ;)

i agree, sams just moved onto the adult and i'm feeding him 100g per day. i but 7.5 kg packs which cost about £20 but last for ages and ages. about 1 1/2 2 months. so if you work it out like that it's really goos value  :D

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
after reading abit about the burns food and seeing that a 15kg bag will last mas 150 days im going to try it :shades:

we are going for the pork & potato for sensitive stomachs ill let you know how we get on

thank you for all your help xx

lisa x

Cazzie

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »
after reading abit about the burns food and seeing that a 15kg bag will last mas 150 days im going to try it :shades:

we are going for the pork & potato for sensitive stomachs ill let you know how we get on

lisa x

You could ask for samples to be sent to try if you want before you buy a big bag, speak to them and tell them your situation, if not let me know and Ill send them to you  ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
People will doubtless shout at me, but cheap smelly Chappie has saved me from pricey prescription foods for m y springer with gut probs. I was using JWB lamb and potato which is excellent, but stopped working for us because  it is very bland flavoured. The flavour couldn't mask the nasty powder we have to mix in even when soaked.  She wouldn't eat it except off  a spoon, and lost weight and had pain and loose poo. I checked with vet, who approved, saying before the new special foods were invented, vet school taught them chappie,chappie,chappie! You could always supplement it.  Dogs love it, and its working a treat for us.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »

lisa x

You could ask for samples to be sent to try if you want before you buy a big bag, speak to them and tell them your situation, if not let me know and Ill send them to you  ;)

thanks very much  :shades: i was going to just try a small bag at first and if he dont get on with it ellie will eat it she dont have no probs whatever food she eats :005:

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
People will doubtless shout at me, but cheap smelly Chappie has saved me from pricey prescription foods for m y springer with gut probs. I was using JWB lamb and potato which is excellent, but stopped working for us because  it is very bland flavoured. The flavour couldn't mask the nasty powder we have to mix in even when soaked.  She wouldn't eat it except off  a spoon, and lost weight and had pain and loose poo. I checked with vet, who approved, saying before the new special foods were invented, vet school taught them chappie,chappie,chappie! You could always supplement it.  Dogs love it, and its working a treat for us.

this is the first thing we tried but it did not help max :'(

im not exagerating but we have tried most things on the market  :005: well except the really expensive ones :embarassed:

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »
If youve tried lots of things, this could be a contributory factor in him having a dodgy stomach, it takes a long time for a dogs stomach to become acustom to a new food and if you chop and change the runs never really clear up. Speak to Burns, tell them about your dog and when you get the food that is suitable, stick to it and feed nothing else, it may take a while (I know it took Goose months for his gut to adjust and for his toilet to firm up but sticking to his strict feeding regime has now got his gut on the straight and narrow. ;)

I fed him the other day and different flavour of burns as I had ran out of his and low and behold, he had the runs all day  :'(

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
If youve tried lots of things, this could be a contributory factor in him having a dodgy stomach, it takes a long time for a dogs stomach to become acustom to a new food and if you chop and change the runs never really clear up. Speak to Burns, tell them about your dog and when you get the food that is suitable, stick to it and feed nothing else, it may take a while (I know it took Goose months for his gut to adjust and for his toilet to firm up but sticking to his strict feeding regime has now got his gut on the straight and narrow. ;)

I fed him the other day and different flavour of burns as I had ran out of his and low and behold, he had the runs all day  :'(

each food max has had has been introduced slowly and he has been on each one about a month with the vets guidance, thats why in the end they put him on their perscription one as they was begining to think he had underlying problems, he has been on their diet a week and his poos are perfect in that little amount of time, so it is obvious he is reacting to something in the other foods :shades:

Cazzie

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
This is what happened with my pup, we in the end had to give a food of which he had never had before ie the pork and potato to see if it was infact chicken or lamb or some of the others.
With Goose he doesnt have an intollerance or allergies just a sensitive stomach, like mine when I need to dash to the loo half an hour after ive eaten something spicy, im not allergic or intellorant, just sensitive so avoid the things I know go through me like a Porsche  :005: :005:

Diets for dogs are something so very complicated and if mucked about with can cause all sorts of upsets.  :D

Not saying you do anything wrong as I dont know what your regime's and foods are but some dogs are intollereant but the vast majority arnt and as I said have sensitive guts for one reason or another.  :D

Im sure you will get the wee popett sorted in no time  ;)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
i certainly hope so its not good for either of us :-\

fingers crossed it works out :blink: