Author Topic: burns  (Read 3006 times)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
burns
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
as you may of read b4 ive had terrible trouble finding max a food that does not give him the runs :-\, i changed him over to burns pork & potato about a month ago, while being on this food his poo has not changed, and his scavenging has got ten times worse >:D i also put ellie on the burns and she has starting eating anything she can find on walks now too :o she has never done this b4, i really dont no what to do for the best now, do you think i should change max off the burns and try something else for his runny poos ph34r

any ideas would be great

thank you xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: burns
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
Are they losing weight? I put Alfie on Burns as a pup and he did terribly on it, he lost a lot of weight even thought I was feeding him way over the recommended amount. It is a good food and some dogs do really well on it but others don't. If Max's stomach is constantly unsettled and they're both scavenging/losing weight then I'd try something else with them. I put Alfie on Arden Grange and he never looked back but I don't know if that's one you've already tried.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 06:39:25 PM »
How long have you had him on it for  :-\ If he is not loosing weight, then id persevere, I did with Goose and as Ive said it took him 6 months to settle on it and has never looked back. All my dogs scavenge as they are just greedy  :005:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
you might want to add a few veggies and some probiotic yogurt I've found on burns mine constantly eat cattle and horse sh*t but if I top up in their feed it reduces their consumption in the fields.  Also don't go based on the packet instructions go based on your dogs weight and condition as it varies alot between breeds and different dogs.  I wet feed mine so that I know exactly what they are eating and it fills their tummies without them having a constant thirst.

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »
max cant have anything added to his food because of his food intolerances but they both have more than the feeding guidelines, max will eat anyones poo :o ellie has never been a scavy but since being on burns has been doing it more and more, i cant tell with max he has always been like it but he is deffo worse than he was :-\

im so confused over it i wish he could eat anything like ellie it would make life so much easier :'(

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:01:12 PM »
max cant have anything added to his food because of his food intolerances but they both have more than the feeding guidelines, max will eat anyones poo :o ellie has never been a scavy but since being on burns has been doing it more and more, i cant tell with max he has always been like it but he is deffo worse than he was :-\

im so confused over it i wish he could eat anything like ellie it would make life so much easier :'(

What a shame  :luv: Whats the vet advising with regards to his intollerances, maybe you might have to go down another route  :-\

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 06:26:45 AM »
the vet said its trial and error finding something that is suitable for him, they said he is not ill in any way and is completly healthy, they can do more tests but too be honest i cant afford it at the mo, my insurance wont cover the cost because he had diarea b4 we insured him ::)

the vet put him on royal canin perscription diet chicken & rice to see what happened and his poo was great, but at £3 a day i simply couldnt afford it :embarassed:

as he is now on dry food im considering buying the royal canin perscription diet bag its £50 for 15 kg but depending on the amount he has to be feed it should last a while. i think we worked it out at about £1 a day which i can afford, specially if my maxy is 100 % because of it

do you think the dry food will be the same as the tins :-\

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
Jessie is intolerant to burns pork and Potato and we have had to resort to feeding her a vetinary diet (this is the only thing so far she isn't being sick with).

We are feeding Royal Canin SC24 (Blue Whiting and Tapioca are the main ingredients). Jesie is allergic to SoyaBean, Sugarbeet and Rice so findng a food has been a nightmare.....she is doing very well on the vet food and is ahappy merry cocker again  :D

be warend tho - its not cheap - I'm glad our insurance is paying!!

Janey

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Mine are ok, but generally hungry on Burns.. although better since I've been wet feeding them. I tried changing my Weim onto JWB lamb and rice and she had a massive allergic reaction to 'something' at the same time as changing her food so I'm reluctant to try again... She's on Chicken and Rice and my cocker is still on mini-bites (he's 9 months) but we do a lot of walking and I'm not convinced it's 'enough' for either of them as they also both have a bit of Scurf.. it's a very tricky one!

Trial and error I guess  :-\

Good luck

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
Have you tried feeding Max 'real' chicken and rice? When my previous dog had runny poos I fed him on 'Prize Choice' frozen minced chicken (around £3 for 2kg, or under £1 for a 500g block) with the cheapest rice around. I have a plastic steamer for the microwave so just cover the rice with water and 'nuke' on medium for around 15 mins. Although the chicken can be served raw, I put 1/6th block in a bowl, add water to make 'gravy', and 'nuke' for a couple of mins until cooked. Mix the 2 together and serve when cold....and the dogs love it. Although Winnie does emerge with rice hanging off the end of her ears! It really isn't too much effort (if you have a microwave!). And you don't have to worry about having perfect fluffy rice - Max won't care if it is slightly overcooked :005:
If Max is OK on this diet, you can try adding veggies and other things and see what he reacts to.

Winnie is doing well on Burns (fish and rice)....and is less stinky than she was on Wagg, although I do feed her far more than the recommended dose. My theory is that if she is eating soil and rotting wood in the garden than I need to feed more, and if her ribs start disappearing then I need to substitute in more veggies or take her for longer walks! (the latter benefits me too!).
Jane and Winnie

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
max was on fresh chicken & rice for 2 weeks b4 the prescription diet, he did not change, and the rice was comming out looking like it went in :o

i think im going to put him back on the prescription diet i just want him to have normal healthy poos  :shades:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
Do you buy the prescription diet off your local vet.  If so if you search some of the online pharmacies you may get it cheaper.  Our charlie has pancreatitis and was on hills I/D and that was costing me a small fortune at the vets.  i did a search at the online pharmacy and discovered I could buy it at least £10 cheaper for a 15kg bag and also still get it delivered to my front door.
I got it from this online pharmacy and found they were the cheapest
http://www.nutrecare.co.uk

hope this helps you save a few pence and settles tummy
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
ive been to the vets with max this afternoon, he has been put on to hills id prescription diet, it works out at £1.20 a day which is fine by me aslong as it works, the vet said he is a healthy weight, 10.5 kg and all his vitals are fine :shades:

ellie had a weight check and i was told to put her on a diet lol she weights 15.5 kg :o

Offline pat anderson

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
Have you tried putting an hard boiled egg in with his dinner? not everyday as you will have the oppposite effect and have the makings for a new rockery but try 1 hopefully that will work for maybe a 2/3  days, if it starts to get runny try another hard boiled egg .

It is the only thing that works for my labrador.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:06 AM »
I can't give mine unpeeled hard boiled eggs, we've been practising for the scurry races :005:  We can just about do the eggs now but the sausages which are always very popular even frozen they manage to swallow before you get a chance to do a decent retrieve.

I like the idea of the Prize Choice being added I sometimes use their products especially the tripe free flow and their block fish.  Definitely something lacking in the burns products of late mine have all taken up eating mud ph34r :luv: